Author Topic: Advice For Using CarNet.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Advice For Using CarNet.
« on: 14 February 2017, 15:18 »
Shortly doing a trip to a couple of out of the way places, so I had a look at the possibility of adding personal destinations and POI's via CarNet. I had registered with CarNet when I first got this car and had also set up CarNet in the car using my phones personal hotspot, which all seemed to work as expected.

I haven't done anything else with it, until today. Not too worried that I had to set up the WLAN to my phone again and managed to download some POI's. So far, so good. When I went back to the car to download some personal destinations, however, I found that I needed to set up the WLAN to my phone again! Really? Is this necessary everytime I connect, or am I doing something wrong?

On this occasion I also found that CarNet services were offline. Does this happen often, or was I just unlucky?

I hope I can get this service working as it should. I am particularly impressed by the ability to provide the car with a destination by simply searching Google maps. Really useful for navigation off the beaten track.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
Re: Advice For Using CarNet.
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2017, 07:21 »
So, 106 reads and no answers? Does no one else use this?

I eventually got my POI's and personal destinations downloaded onto my car's nav, so I'm set for my trip, but it was a very flaky process getting there! If anyone has any experience using Car-net, I would be grateful for any advice. As I said above, it should be a very useful facility.
Roger.

C14YTN

« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2017, 13:01 »
Hi mate, from my understanding carnet requires an internet connection at all times to work so yes it would have to stay connected to your phones hotspot for it to work.

There is a couple of other methods of connecting it to internet shown here in this downloadable pdf I just found:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj657L7kpLSAhUqLcAKHcYLCswQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvolkswagen-carnet.com%2Fdam%2Fjcr%3Af9d5fdab-3747-4bc6-9a8b-04275492b559%2FWLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFJ7o-E-sjYC-DXqKOKeAzJMAOeMA&sig2=W1ZSEziTGp7gxOFUswTlhQ

By the way I joined the forum years ago when I first bought a mk6 GT TDi and am now back here having recently purchased a GTi Clubsport edition 40 2 weeks ago and this is my first post back since :-) hoping to get some decent weather soon so can get some good pics of the car uploaded.

James

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2017, 13:06 »
Hi mate, from my understanding carnet requires an internet connection at all times to work so yes it would have to stay connected to your phones hotspot for it to work.

There is a couple of other methods of connecting it to internet shown here in this downloadable pdf I just found:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwj657L7kpLSAhUqLcAKHcYLCswQFggeMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvolkswagen-carnet.com%2Fdam%2Fjcr%3Af9d5fdab-3747-4bc6-9a8b-04275492b559%2FWLAN_Client_Car-Net_EN.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFJ7o-E-sjYC-DXqKOKeAzJMAOeMA&sig2=W1ZSEziTGp7gxOFUswTlhQ

By the way I joined the forum years ago when I first bought a mk6 GT TDi and am now back here having recently purchased a GTi Clubsport edition 40 2 weeks ago and this is my first post back since :-) hoping to get some decent weather soon so can get some good pics of the car uploaded.

James
Congrats on your new clubsport James, and welcome back to the forum :smiley:
You've bought an awseome machine :drool:!
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

C14YTN

« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2017, 13:14 »

James
Congrats on your new clubsport James, and welcome back to the forum :smiley:
You've bought an awseome machine :drool:!

Haha thanks its also carbon grey like your mk7 we must have good taste  :laugh:
Sure ill be here much more nowadays!

In regards to the original post VW do offer a usb stick with a data plan which can permanently stay in the car so that would be a workaround to having a permanent connection. A pain I know but technology is never as simple as made out to be is it!

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2017, 16:23 »
Well, I think I've solved the connection part of my problem. It seems that, if I delete the WLAN connection from my previous session, the car will reconnect with my phone  without having to enter the password again, so I'm happier. 🙂

Oh, and nice car btw! 🤑
« Last Edit: 15 February 2017, 16:25 by Talk-torque »
Roger.

Offline GeoBog

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2017, 17:51 »
Not sure about teethering with the phone but mine connects to my home wifi each time I start the engine/ignition. I find it quite good especially for planing trips on my computer in the evening and upload them on to Carnet then in the morning the car downloads the trip plan automatically and sets up the route.
2020 VW T-Cross SEL
2020 Renault Megane RS Trophy 300
2012 Fiat 500 Twinair
2007 Renault Megane 2
------------------------------------------
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2017, 18:00 »
Well, I think I've solved the connection part of my problem. It seems that, if I delete the WLAN connection from my previous session, the car will reconnect with my phone  without having to enter the password again, so I'm happier. 🙂

Oh, and nice car btw! 🤑

Didn't work the same tonight, so backward step!
Roger.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2017, 18:02 »
Not sure about teethering with the phone but mine connects to my home wifi each time I start the engine/ignition. I find it quite good especially for planing trips on my computer in the evening and upload them on to Carnet then in the morning the car downloads the trip plan automatically and sets up the route.

Yes, a quick try suggests that home wifi connection is a lot more stable and would do the job in the way you do it. Thanks for that!  :smiley:
Roger.