Author Topic: Electric Handbrake  (Read 3047 times)

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
Electric Handbrake
« on: 12 February 2017, 17:21 »
Can anybody out there answer some questions about this - thinking of swapping my MK 6 GTi for a facelift MK7
later this year -was wondering about the following -
1. I often push my car out of the garage to wash it and then push it back in to avoid running the engine just for
a few seconds which isn't good for engine wear - is this possible with the electronic handbrake - i.e. does the engine need to be started to release the brakes or do you just need to switch ignition on and switch the handbrake off ?
2.I understand later MK7 cars had a software update on the handbrake which meant you didn't need to have the seatbelt on to start the car - again,I ask this as when leaving the house,I start the car,reverse out of the garage,leave the engine running while I get out to shut the garage door -obviously I don't bother with putting the seatbelt on for this manouvre - would I need to put my belt on with the MK 7 ?
3.I seem to remember when the MK 7 came out reading about journalists stalling their cars when coming to a halt,selecting reverse gear,letting the clutch in and then stalling - is this because they will have the electric handbrake in its automatic mode - i.e. comes on automatically when it detects car is not moving,rather than leaving it in manual on/off mode - is it still the case that if you have it in auto mode,you need to remember to switch it "off" if you come to a halt and then need to reverse ?

Thanks in advance of any help.

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
Re: Electric Handbrake
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2017, 17:31 »
Sorry,just to clarify in second question,I meant the software update meant you didn't need to have a seatbelt on
to start the car and release the handbrake.

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2017, 17:37 »
I have a DSG box and I switch the handbrake off and leave the car in Park when it's in the garage. This stops the pads sticking to the discs which would be a problem if you want to push the car out. If you have a manual box you could do the same and leave the car in gear to achieve the same result.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2017, 18:07 »
You can switch the handbrake off with the ignition on, no need to start the car (I move mine a foot or so to clean the part of the wheels hidden by the calipers). You don't have to have the seatbelt on to drive (mine is a 2015 model). I've never had any problems with stalling (other than forgetting my car was a manual and leaving it in 6th right up to stopping - 12 years of driving an auto  :rolleyes:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2017, 19:38 »
Yup, really no problems doing any of the things you've talked about.

Don't panic, it will all become obvious once you've got the car and then you will look back and wonder anyone made a fuss.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2017, 19:59 »
Isn't there a law about car having to be able to be push/moved without the engine running?
It would cause all sorts of problems in the after accidents and breakdowns.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline MEZZA

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2017, 12:00 »
OK,thanks for the feedback - think I'll still miss that leather covered piece of metal to tap my hand against when waiting for the lights to change !!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2017, 12:03 »
You've got another piece of leather covered metal to use instead. It's positioned in a much easier place to reach too :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2017, 16:47 »
OK,thanks for the feedback - think I'll still miss that leather covered piece of metal to tap my hand against when waiting for the lights to change !!

Pretty sure you won't! The whole autohold setup is very well thought out and totally intuitive. Might take you a little while to get used to it, but you will. It does work best with DSG, when it is seamless in operation.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline scotland67

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2017, 09:49 »
The electric handbrake is superb, and even my wife, who was skeptical at first is a fan.
I would not buy another car with a conventional handbrake.
You can release the handbrake without putting on the seat belt if you press the footbrake at the same time. Just remember to put it back on again when you have reversed the car out of the garage
Once it's on forget about it in normal driving, and hill starts are a breeze as an extra bonus with the auto hold.
Surely most cars will have electric handbrakes eventually.