Author Topic: Extended test drive / Hire car for the day (GTI PP / R)?  (Read 2909 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Extended test drive / Hire car for the day (GTI PP / R)?
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2017, 21:02 »
Hi James,

I am sure if you agree a price and place a deposit with a dealer they will make things happen for you.

Where abouts are you based?

Regards,

Lee
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2017, 21:18 »
Hi James,

I am sure if you agree a price and place a deposit with a dealer they will make things happen for you.

Where abouts are you based?

Regards,

Lee

West Midlands
Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2017, 11:27 »
I just noticed that you also drive a Mk6 GTD. So I am in exactly the same position as yourself.

The GTI PP and R were also top of my list. Reviews don't help as a lot of them conclude that the GTI is very good, but the Golf R is simply the better car - and no doubt it is!

However, some of the reviews hint at the GTI being the better daily driver due to less turbo lag, smaller turning circle and less weight resulting in sharper, more responsive steering.

There have also been a few issues with the Golf R. Early models had turbo problems. A few people have had issues with the manual clutch slipping. Also there have been issues with the hadlex clutch pump which mean that people have had a 300hp front wheel drive car :shocked: Though hopefully all these issues will have been fully resolved with the Mk7.5 :undecided:

I have decided to buy a GTI PP. One of the main reasons is because I have never had a Golf GTI before. Also, it should be a nice improvement in performance over the Mk6 GTD.

... and the money saved can go towards a Mk8 Golf R.  :cool:

« Last Edit: 12 February 2017, 11:37 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline brown.jamesa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2017, 17:49 »
I just noticed that you also drive a Mk6 GTD. So I am in exactly the same position as yourself.

The GTI PP and R were also top of my list. Reviews don't help as a lot of them conclude that the GTI is very good, but the Golf R is simply the better car - and no doubt it is!

However, some of the reviews hint at the GTI being the better daily driver due to less turbo lag, smaller turning circle and less weight resulting in sharper, more responsive steering.

There have also been a few issues with the Golf R. Early models had turbo problems. A few people have had issues with the manual clutch slipping. Also there have been issues with the hadlex clutch pump which mean that people have had a 300hp front wheel drive car :shocked: Though hopefully all these issues will have been fully resolved with the Mk7.5 :undecided:

I have decided to buy a GTI PP. One of the main reasons is because I have never had a Golf GTI before. Also, it should be a nice improvement in performance over the Mk6 GTD.

... and the money saved can go towards a Mk8 Golf R.  :cool:

Think I will go down the GTI PP route and upgrade to the R in maybe 3/5 years time  :smiley:

Gonna try and organise one more test drive of the GTI PP to make sure tho

Current: Mk7.5 GTI PP (67)
Past: Mk6 GTD (12), Mk5 GT TDI 140 (54)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2017, 19:17 »
I'd always look to get the test drive before I committed myself to buy via deposit (except when I bought the GTD blind, but I knew I wanted THAT car) - if you're undecided between 2 then your dealer should get you a test drive in both without commitment.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline madmark63

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2017, 17:10 »
i bourt my last gtd blind it was a 2015 the car was great apart from the ride was so hard in the end this made me sell the car as it didnt have the dcc  :sad:
i then went to a golf match that 125ps 1.4 engine is great and does go well but it just wasnt me and i needed the extra bits the gtd had so i bit the bullet and bourt a new gti  :cool:
so far i love it but i havnt used it much as i am allways working and dont get time to go anywere but i have noticed so far the car rides much better than the gtd even in normal setting ,i think the gti is a real good allrounder dont get me wrong if the R was the same price i might of bourt one but for me i need to keep my licence if i can so the R would of been to qwick for me ,the good thing is clarkson loves his gti and if he says its good it but be very good  :smiley:
the only other downside for me is i wanted a carbon grey but had the have a black one but i am getting uesed to it  :wink:
gti mk7 5 door in black dsg /performance pack,tech pack,parking pack,19" satiago,s with dcc