Author Topic: Potential Problems - New Buyer  (Read 1730 times)

Offline TacoTom

• Just got here
Potential Problems - New Buyer
« on: 10 February 2017, 15:46 »
Hi Guys,

My first post here, I'm looking to buy a GTi towards the end of summer and have started researching and doing my homework on them now, so when the time comes I'm fully loaded with info!

• My first question is the tensioner failing. I've read the stickied thread and understand that it's only common on the 09/10 plates. How common though? I'm seeing 09 plates on 110k with the original engine for reasonable prices and it's making me wonder how common the tensioner problem actually is. I saw on Facebook that you can get all the revised parts for around £150. Would it be worth it to buy a 09/10 plate and then buy the revised parts?
  • Did they introduce Bi-xenon's as an optional extra only?
  • What year did they start putting the LED rear lights in? Or are these fitted by the owner?
  • What's an average MPG with town driving and some longer journeys?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Potential Problems - New Buyer
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2017, 17:34 »
I'm not a mk6 GTI owner, but I did own a mk6 GTD so can answer the 2nd and 3rd questions you've asked.

Bi-xenons were an optional extra on the GTI (ex ED 35 model). They were standard on the ED 35 anniversary model. I had them on my mk6 GTD and they were great. They were quite a costly option, so not too many GTI's had them.

Rear LED's were introduced as standard sometime during 2010 for model year 2011 cars (the GTD I test drove in Oct 2010 had them).

There will be many discussion threads within the mk6 section of the forum on fuel consumption. Suggest you use the search function and you should get an idea of typically what you could expect to achieve.

Some current / past mk6 GTI owners on the forum will probably advise you further on the tensioner issue. Some cars with the original version (or early revisions) of the tensioner will have had these replaced for the latest version. If considering buying an earlier version of the mk6 GTI, always check if the tensioner has been replaced and asked to see evidence of this - don't just rely on word of mouth. If it's not been done, use this to negotiate an appropriate reduction in the car's selling price.
« Last Edit: 10 February 2017, 17:57 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2017, 17:35 »
Hi,

See this recent thread for potential reliability issues: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=279722.0.

I believe the xenon lights were an optional extra only throughout the Mk6 lifespan as you say.

LED rear lights were fitted from 2011 onwards, although I gather it's not too difficult to fit them yourself and there are good quality replicas available.

I only do longer journeys really and hardly ever in town. My car is used for a 50/50 split of motorway and fast A/B road driving and I get 32mpg indicated on average. That's running on Shell VPower.

Dan

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2017, 00:28 »
If your looking at cars with 110k on I would advice a chain and tensioner change. The chains can stretch with mileage.
How common is the tensioner failure is a good question. Talked about all round the world. VW are the only ones who would know and they are keeping quiet.
As for fuel consumption in town it depends how stop start you are and how congested. Mine was always bad in the evwning rush hour as i got stuck in traffic for about an hour. So was high 20s. But in a morning the commute was about 30mins less as less traffic so total averaged out at 33.

And if you read the tensioner thread you will remember the tensioner fails at shutdown-startup. Its the ratchet that fails that holds the chain tension when oil pressure is not present. Its not the oil pressure part that fails. Therfore milage will have little to do with it as the ratchet isnt under strain when the car is running with oil pressure.
Thw chains do stretch with milage though which can have similar outcome.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2017, 07:04 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.