Author Topic: Humming/Whirring type noise  (Read 5019 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Humming/Whirring type noise
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2017, 20:15 »
Definitely think this is wheel bearings now. Noise is getting worse and outside temperature had made no difference to tyres (balmy 8° here today). Booking in tomorrow.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2017, 20:41 »
Definitely think this is wheel bearings now. Noise is getting worse and outside temperature had made no difference to tyres (balmy 8° here today). Booking in tomorrow.

Mine is getting really loud now too, not due to go in until next Tuesday but I called the garage to say I thought it now a potential safety issue so I'm going to try and get it in either tomorrow morning or Friday. That and my dangling door mirror :angry: - not a happy camper.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2017, 07:04 »
Anyone in the north east got either two spare 18" wheels or a set so I can at least change over the front wheels on my Gti before the dealer starts changing wheel bearings. It would just be for 10 minutes and then I can rule bearings out and change tyres. Can't think of another way to to check. Do we get full size spares or just crappy space savers?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 16 February 2017, 08:01 »
Chris - We get space savers. Th e Bridgestones are a bit noisy, as they are rock hard, but considering the miles on your car, if the noise has gotten worse rather than being just as bad from delivery to now, that won't be the tyres unless your tracking/alignment is absolutely miles out to cause rapid development of an abnormal wear pattern.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2017, 11:26 »
Got a work colleague with a gtd so I'm going to borrow his spare and put both on the front of mine. This should eliminate tyres and confirm it's wheel bearings. If the hum goes then it's hello Michelins  :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 20 February 2017, 12:57 »
Put two spare tyres on the front and the noise is still present so I can virtually rule out tyres. Likely to be now either wheel bearings or diff of maybe even gearbox.

Offline JayClarke

• Just got here
« Reply #26 on: 19 April 2017, 17:06 »
I seem to be having similar issues, did you get a resolution for this in the end?

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #27 on: 19 April 2017, 17:34 »
Our A3 had a noise like this. It sounded like there was a plane flying above the car. I thought it might be the tyres. I once had a similar noise caused by a flat spot on a tyre. So we had the winter tyres fitted and the wheels balanced. The Audi garage thought it was a wheel bearing. It turned out to be the 7 speed DSG dry clutch. Thankfully, it happened under warranty.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 20 April 2017, 06:53 »
Had a front wheel bearing changed and noise gone.