Author Topic: Petrol vs Diesel dilemma - GTI or GTD in 2017?  (Read 9500 times)

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
Re: Petrol vs Diesel dilemma - GTI or GTD in 2017?
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2017, 15:00 »
Even if you could fuel from the Republic, its not actually that much cheaper according to this:

http://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/petrol-prices.aspx
Yeah, with the current exchange rate Euro diesel is only slightly cheaper.

Look at the price of petrol vs diesel in Ireland - €1.28 vs €1.14.

« Last Edit: 09 February 2017, 18:13 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2017, 15:31 »
I'd like to chime in with something completely different (not an R). I had a test drive in a new 1.8 Polo GTI yesterday - great car for fun driving. Feels as quick as a Golf GTI (very similar power to weight ratio), but still a little rough around the edges. The Performance MK7's refinement really does take a bit of excitement away because they're all way quicker than they feel. Do you need a car the size of a Golf?

Downsides are far less standard equipment and if you do regular long journeys you might wish you had the MK7's refinement (although Newcastle to York in the wife's A1 on the same underpinnings is fine).

The above applies to the 1.8, don't get the 1.4 twin-charge.

GFV on the Polo GTI looks far better than the Golf's and it comes with a free year's insurance (when bought new).

I'm almost tempted myself - a colleague keeps hassling me to sell him my R.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2017, 15:36 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline seonhughes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2017, 15:34 »

£2k... whatever other things may or may not happen, that is a lot of cash for a 21 year old student to find or to save... or at least it was when I was a 21 year old student.

[/quote]

My swift is currently on finance and costing £185 p/m and I'm not struggling with that, looking at the dealers websites with the finance quotes shown for the car putting £1500 deposit down on a GTD at £15,000 is working out between £200-220 p/m depending on the GFV of the particular so for me paying an extra tenner a week to be in a nice hot hatch is a no brainer :grin:

Offline seonhughes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 09 February 2017, 15:36 »
I'd like to chime in with something completely different (not an R). I had a test drive in a new 1.8 Polo GTI yesterday - great car for fun driving. Feels as quick as a Golf GTI (very similar power to weight ratio), but still a little rough around the edges. The Performance MK7's refinement really does take a bit of excitement away because they're all way quicker than they feel. Do you need a car the size of a Golf?

Downsides are far less standard equipment and if you do regular long journeys you might wish you had the MK7's refinement (although Newcastle to York in the wife's A1 on the same underpinnings is fine).

The above applies to the 1.8, don't get the 1.4 twin-charge.

I did debate the Polo GTI but in the used market there's not much on offer for my budget, plus as much of an excellent car it may be I know one day I'll pull up to a set of lights beside the Golf and kick myself for not getting one :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 09 February 2017, 15:38 »
OP - my view is that which ever car you choose it'll be a big pile of cash. So, go with what you really want as that way you'll be happier with your purchase. Or, just go with your heart and lucky you! At 21 I was driving a rusty old Capri although I did love it :kiss: (the kiss is for my first car by the way :wink:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 09 February 2017, 15:40 »
Sounds like you've thought about it, there aren't any real major cost savings (for you) to driving an oil burner.

Don't forget to come back and show us your new baby when she arrives :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline seonhughes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 09 February 2017, 16:05 »
Thanks for the input people, I think GTI it is then!
I know it's a lot of money for a car at my age but the way i look at it is a lot of people (some of my friends included) are spending the same money on rent for a dingy student house as i would be spending on my lovely Golf payments and fuelling it every month :wink:

Offline Bungleaio

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 09 February 2017, 18:31 »
The sensible and older me says get a mk5 or 6 gti and save some cash. Enjoy living life with the minimum fixed out goings as you can.

Whatever happens don't buy a diesel, life is too short.
Abarth 595 Turismo + Classic Mini + Triumph Street Triple RS
Did have 3door DBP GTI PP

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 09 February 2017, 18:45 »
The sensible and older me says get a mk5 or 6 gti and save some cash. Enjoy living life with the minimum fixed out goings as you can.

What he just said. Plenty of time for new cars.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline gtiaps

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 09 February 2017, 20:26 »
I was in the same dilemma when looking to change frim my A3 tdi sport I was doing about the same millage as I'm doing now on my commute but at the weekends I was parking it up and driving the wife's scirocco also a 2lt tdi.
So when I was looking at the mk7 my 1st thoughts were for a diesel but doing low millage and things like dpd filters n comparison fuel charges once I'd dug deeper I opted for the Gti my fuel return is around 35 apr but the grin factor out weighs the cost..
Good luck in your search and hopefully commen sense will prevail and you get the awsome GTI lol  :whistle:
2010 Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TDI
2016 Carbon Grey Gti 2.0 Fully Loaded

COLLECTED 29/4/2016 and well pleased with the GTI😆😆