Author Topic: Rear shock absorber lower bush replacement??  (Read 2854 times)

RC81

Rear shock absorber lower bush replacement??
« on: 06 February 2017, 16:59 »
Hi Guy's,

I thought i would give the 1.8T a brief once over as it's MOT is due next month.

Apart from a few things that need replacing on the front suspension, I found both Rear shock absorber LOWER bush's had up & down movement. So I guess they'll fail the MOT! But I can't find any bush's online to replace them with?
Do I really have to replace both Rear shocks due to bush failure??

Cheers in advance

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Rear shock absorber lower bush replacement??
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2017, 08:58 »
Unless you can find the dimensions of the bush and go into a parts place to order that bush.
Id try vw as the sell most things in pieces.

You might find a vw bush is as expensive as a rear shock though so might work out just to swap the shocks

RC81

« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2017, 15:44 »
I decided to remove one of the rear struts to see how screwed the bottom bush's are.
Knackered to say the least. But the struts themselves are still good as new.
But there is so much play between the collet and inner bush hole it's unreal!! About 2mm difference.
But I did find the original invoice for when the AP coilovers were bought by one of the previous owners back in 2008.
(I was given a huge stack of history with the car) The shocks have done 60,000 miles!!
And I did measure the bush's in question, I can't find anything online to replace them inc at the dealers

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2017, 15:49 »
Might be worth ringing ap to see if they will sell you two bushes

RC81

« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2017, 05:53 »
I had the same thought myself, but I had the feeling i was being tight! lol. So found some new FK rear coilovers for a good price online till I can get some replacement bush's for the AP coilover's. The AP's were expensive!!
The list of parts continue..

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2017, 16:26 »
make up some sleeves to get rid of the play :wink:. crude but effective I say. if there is no play in bush, it will not fail mot, regardless of how the play was removed.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2017, 16:53 »
Hose pipe works well... Ive also seen black silicone used to remove play

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2017, 19:14 »
Hose pipe works well... Ive also seen black silicone used to remove play
bit off both :wink:

RC81

« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2017, 22:56 »
I didn't think of a piece of hosepipe? How simple a fix is that. I've removed both rear AP Coilover's today. Got the FK's in temporarily. But after some online research on Sunday night, I found a perfect Superflex Polybush replacement for a few quid. Should arrive in the next day or two. Then the AP's can go back in. An hour tops to put back in. I also had to remove both front shocks to replace the top mounts due to severe knocking over pot holes!! Needless to say, the bearings were f**ked and the rubber well worn.

Pics to follow tomorrow  :smiley:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2017, 21:51 »
I feel your pain mate, the roads over here at the mo are the worst I've ever seen them in my 20 years of driving...

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175