Author Topic: Droning from the rear  (Read 8287 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Droning from the rear
« Reply #40 on: 17 February 2017, 18:15 »
Had the car in at the garage this morning for an emergency check up as I was concerned that a bearing could fail imminently. Can't fault the garage, Lookers in Hersham, the workshop was heaving but they got a technician out within a couple of minutes to take a look. A quick spin around the block, brief look at the tyres and a few questions and he was happy it was safe to drive for now so I'll just keep to my appointment on Tuesday. He did say though checking the bearings was going to be difficult as there is no drive to the rear wheels to get them spinning on the lift - I suggested they get themselves a big strong hamster to get it going...

I guess that's why they are called technicians and not mechanics, can you imagine going into a garage 20 years or more ago and the mechanic saying 'it's going to be difficult to check the rear bearings because there is no drive to the rear wheels'? Was he a junior tech, as in first day on the job?

I suppose it's because the computer can't tell them what to do. Still, the fact that he said it goes to prove that they do go early these days. Last time I had wheel bearings changed on a car was my 1978 Capri when it was 10+ years old. They really do things on the cheap these days :rolleyes:

Last time I had a bearing go was front right, XR3i

Things can't have changed that much. To check a wheel bearing you jack the car up and spin the wheel around to check for a rumble, then hold wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is movement in the wheel and on rear wheels you can also hold it at 9 and 3 o'clock. 
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 17 February 2017, 18:56 »
Had the car in at the garage this morning for an emergency check up as I was concerned that a bearing could fail imminently. Can't fault the garage, Lookers in Hersham, the workshop was heaving but they got a technician out within a couple of minutes to take a look. A quick spin around the block, brief look at the tyres and a few questions and he was happy it was safe to drive for now so I'll just keep to my appointment on Tuesday. He did say though checking the bearings was going to be difficult as there is no drive to the rear wheels to get them spinning on the lift - I suggested they get themselves a big strong hamster to get it going...

I guess that's why they are called technicians and not mechanics, can you imagine going into a garage 20 years or more ago and the mechanic saying 'it's going to be difficult to check the rear bearings because there is no drive to the rear wheels'? Was he a junior tech, as in first day on the job?

I suppose it's because the computer can't tell them what to do. Still, the fact that he said it goes to prove that they do go early these days. Last time I had wheel bearings changed on a car was my 1978 Capri when it was 10+ years old. They really do things on the cheap these days :rolleyes:

Last time I had a bearing go was front right, XR3i

Things can't have changed that much. To check a wheel bearing you jack the car up and spin the wheel around to check for a rumble, then hold wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is movement in the wheel and on rear wheels you can also hold it at 9 and 3 o'clock.

That's what I'd have done too. You really would think it'd be like that still but in fairness I haven't wielded a spanner with intent much for many a year.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #42 on: 17 February 2017, 19:13 »
Easy way to check a bearing is chack it up and spin it while touching your hand on the spring. If its rough youll feel it through spring.
If its f**ked grab the top and bottom of the wheel and see it it moves in and out

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2017, 13:43 »
Been to the dealers today and they have confirmed the rear offside bearing is kaput. So booked in for it to be done under warranty next week. And they didn't wash my car as instructed :smiley: Also going to get them to look at my sticky filler cap door.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 21 February 2017, 14:39 »
Got mine going in on Monday but noise appears to be fronts.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 21 February 2017, 15:04 »

Have they confirmed it's a bearing? I think mine was damaged by hitting a pothole as both wheels on that side are slightly buckled. There's a massive one just round the corner positioned so it's difficult to avoid plus it's deep with a sharp edge, I've definitely hit that one a few times but there are loads of them everywhere now. A Chieftan tank would seem to be the only safe bet for modern driving conditions :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #46 on: 21 February 2017, 15:22 »
A Chieftan tank would seem to be the only safe bet for modern driving conditions :rolleyes:

It would probably throw a track with some of the potholes round here!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 21 February 2017, 15:26 »
A Chieftan tank would seem to be the only safe bet for modern driving conditions :rolleyes:

It would probably throw a track with some of the potholes round here!

One of those bridge laying versions might be best, be able to cross even the worst of potholes :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #48 on: 21 February 2017, 15:30 »

Have they confirmed it's a bearing? I think mine was damaged by hitting a pothole as both wheels on that side are slightly buckled. There's a massive one just round the corner positioned so it's difficult to avoid plus it's deep with a sharp edge, I've definitely hit that one a few times but there are loads of them everywhere now. A Chieftan tank would seem to be the only safe bet for modern driving conditions :rolleyes:
The more I read about buckled Santiagos, the more I'm relieved I went with the Austins  :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #49 on: 21 February 2017, 16:28 »
I do wonder if it'd be easier with 18s, but every time I see them they just look so good :kiss:

Might feel a bit different when I have to cough up for new tyres though :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.