Author Topic: Droning from the rear  (Read 8276 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Droning from the rear
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2017, 14:06 »
You wouldn't have thought so but like mine could be a duff bearing? Saw a video that said if you do a few sharp turns whilst you have the noise and it goes away it's likely a front bearing (as the weight lifts off the wheel slightly). The garage asked if I recalled hitting a pot hole but frankly it's a near daily occurence these days :rolleyes: I love my 19s but wonder if I'd be better off on 18s just to give the wheels that little bit more padding from thicker tyres?

My wife went through a deep pothole in the summer in our car, wheel and tyres all ok but I am suspecting the contributing factor to the wheel bearing going.

Does sound plausible. The chap in the garage did comment though on VW wheel bearings wearing earlier than they used to so perhaps they are less robust and prone to damage.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2017, 14:45 »
I've got a droning humming type noise that sounds like it's from the front but surely with only 1450 miles on the clock the alignment can't be out!!

Its either on here or one of the Audi boards that I read that cars coming from the factory are frequently off so its not entirely impossible.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 10 February 2017, 14:54 »
When it's freezing or very cold temperatures do people adjust Tyre pressures accordingly or just go with what's on sticker no matter what temperature?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 10 February 2017, 15:45 »
I keep mine to spec but obviously when it's cold pressures drop so a little more air is needed. Having said that, I've been relying on the TPMS a bit too much and haven't checked recently.... Will let them cool a bit and check after a nice hot cuppa :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 10 February 2017, 16:12 »
I checked mine last weekend and they were spot on and then forgot to reset the system! Only problem with tpms is that if all wheels drop by the same pressure you won't get a warning.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 10 February 2017, 16:22 »
Just checked and fronts were both bang on at 2.8, rears both down by 0.1. Not really going to cause any noise. Just hope a bearing doesn't give up before my booking to look at them :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2017, 16:51 »

My GTI has been droning from the back somewhere on and off for a week or two.

Has your wife been sat in the back seat - or have you got her in the boot :laugh:

I'll get my coat & not bang the door on the way out.............. :whistle:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 10 February 2017, 16:57 »

My GTI has been droning from the back somewhere on and off for a week or two.

Has your wife been sat in the back seat - or have you got her in the boot :laugh:

I'll get my coat & not bang the door on the way out.............. :whistle:

That'd been a droning from the nearside front :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 10 February 2017, 17:05 »
You wouldn't have thought so but like mine could be a duff bearing? Saw a video that said if you do a few sharp turns whilst you have the noise and it goes away it's likely a front bearing (as the weight lifts off the wheel slightly). The garage asked if I recalled hitting a pot hole but frankly it's a near daily occurence these days :rolleyes: I love my 19s but wonder if I'd be better off on 18s just to give the wheels that little bit more padding from thicker tyres?

If you fancy a swap with a mine when I get the car I'd be interested, car has 6 miles on it :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 10 February 2017, 17:11 »
Just checked and fronts were both bang on at 2.8, rears both down by 0.1. Not really going to cause any noise. Just hope a bearing doesn't give up before my booking to look at them :rolleyes:
2.8?? Both front and rear on mine say 2.5.