Author Topic: Droning from the rear  (Read 8293 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Droning from the rear
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2017, 22:20 »
The feathering is easy to see...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2017, 09:15 »
I had it on a mk5 Golf. It got quite noisy and as fredgroves says, it was easy to see (and feel).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2017, 15:34 »
Bugger. Wheels swapped round (and cleaned along with the calipers), no sign of any unusual wear to the tyres, infact the wear was incredibly even. But still the droning goes on....

Got it booked into the dealer to investigate.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 19:11 »
Sounds like a wheel bearing, I had this on the front n/s of our R just before Christmas.

No issues with VW replacing it under warranty, dropped car off in morning and all sorted by lunchtime.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2017, 19:36 »
Had the same problem with mine, the Bridgestones were down to 3mm as soon as they were replaced the noise went completely. It was that loud before it was uncomfortable on long trips and did sound like a wheel bearing but slightly changed tone on different road surfaces.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2017, 21:16 »
Sounds like a wheel bearing, I had this on the front n/s of our R just before Christmas.

No issues with VW replacing it under warranty, dropped car off in morning and all sorted by lunchtime.

Thanks Raffe, that's what I think too. It was worth ruling out the tyres first though. It's going to drive me mad until it's fixed, going to be 3 or more weeks :sad:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 02 February 2017, 10:48 »
Had the same problem with mine, the Bridgestones were down to 3mm as soon as they were replaced the noise went completely. It was that loud before it was uncomfortable on long trips and did sound like a wheel bearing but slightly changed tone on different road surfaces.

Yep, that's what I experienced.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2017, 13:26 »
Had my tyres checked out at a reliable garage today - tyres all absolutely fine but both offside wheels slightly buckled. Nothing too much to worry about but a pot hole could've damaged a bearing. Brakes were all fine as in no dragging so is looking highly likely to be a wheel bearing. Got to wait another 11 days though for VW to take a look.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2017, 13:47 »
I've got a droning humming type noise that sounds like it's from the front but surely with only 1450 miles on the clock the alignment can't be out!!
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2017, 13:59 »
Had my tyres checked out at a reliable garage today - tyres all absolutely fine but both offside wheels slightly buckled. Nothing too much to worry about but a pot hole could've damaged a bearing. Brakes were all fine as in no dragging so is looking highly likely to be a wheel bearing. Got to wait another 11 days though for VW to take a look.

My wife went through a deep pothole in the summer in our car, wheel and tyres all ok but I am suspecting the contributing factor to the wheel bearing going.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect