Author Topic: Damage repair advice  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Sarah26

• Just got here
Damage repair advice
« on: 12 January 2017, 16:54 »
Hi I'm new here! I have a mk6 gti that was involved in an accident and has now been repaired, the car was returned to me today and I refused to accept it as there was a lot of faults with the repairs one major one being the rear quarter, the shape is
Completely different to the non accident side. The garage assured me all parts would be genuine vw parts and have sent me pics etc of the repair in process. They replaced the rear panel which is the main issue, does anyone no if non genuine vw rear panels are available
To buy and also any idea on how much a genuine rear panel would cost? Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Damage repair advice
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2017, 18:18 »
Yes you can buy non genuine quarters for the mk6 and most body shops use non genuine bits  :smiley: and just keep refusing the car till its right or take it to a vw approved body shop

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2017, 21:51 »
For insurers to keep their claim costs down, many of them will require their authorised repairers to use non-genuine, pattern parts for repairs. So as barrym381 has said, most body shops will use non-OEM parts.

Many years ago I rejected a repair to previous car I owned. I didn't have a problem with the new replacement panels used, but the new paint was a really poor colour match compared to the original paint. I got the insurance company to inspect it and they agreed with me. The outcome was my insurer agreeing for the repairer to repaint the repaired area again. So if you're not satisfied with the repairs, be persistent until it has been rectified to your satisfaction.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sarah26

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2017, 23:15 »
Thanks for your replies! I've just
Got a feeling they have used non genuine parts even though they told me they would. They've made a right bodge of it, my rear quarter isn't even the same shape as the none accident side of the car, my rear bumper has only been half repaired, they've not
Blended the paint like they said they would and the bit they have sprayed is a different shade of red to the rest of the car so I've sent it back to them and they are saying there is nothing wrong with it 🙄 Waiting on insurance now to send their own guy out to assess the quality of the work, the place it went to is a vw approved garage according to the insurance so I trusted them
To do the job properly, I'll be asking for it to go somewhere else once the insurance agrees the work needs re doing. Thanks again 😊

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2017, 00:09 »
As it's red park it under a street light at night and see how bad it is as red is a nightmare to match  :smiley:

Offline Sarah26

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2017, 08:55 »
Thanks for the tip! I get that it may never be a perfect colour match but you don't even have to stand and stare for a while, one quick glance and you can see the new paint is more of pinky red So i can't even understand how they allowed it to be passed and sent back to me in the first place 😐

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2017, 18:57 »
Who is doing your repair only reason I ask I seen two insurance estimators looking over a red mk6 in one of the body shops our company use today  :smiley:

Offline Sarah26

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2017, 22:54 »
Just car clinic. Not sure where it is though 😂 The original repair was done at the one in leamington, then they returned it to me yesterday morning and I refused to sign for it so they returned it to leamington, by yesterday afternoon it was in Hinckley and today it was in Warwick 😂 

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2017, 23:00 »
Just car clinic. Not sure where it is though 😂 The original repair was done at the one in leamington, then they returned it to me yesterday morning and I refused to sign for it so they returned it to leamington, by yesterday afternoon it was in Hinckley and today it was in Warwick 😂
It wasn't the car I seen today as this one was in a body shop in Glasgow  :smiley: hope you get it sorted though and even if they do get it looking decent get a vw dealer to ask there body shop to inspect the work

Offline Sarah26

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2017, 23:32 »
Yeah I should hope that's not
Mine then 😂 Thanks for all the advice and tips, I'm the type of person who can't even put air in a tyre so I'm pretty useless at this stuff 🙄