Author Topic: New night blue GTD arriving in March-help needed  (Read 6713 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
New night blue GTD arriving in March-help needed
« on: 03 January 2017, 21:11 »
I'm not into detailing but as this car is a dark colour and I hate to see swirling on paintwork I need help.

First up I live in an apartment so I can't wash the car myself unless I go to a £ per 5 minute wash where I can just use the jet wash part of it. I want the easiest way to keep the car clean with the least amount of hassle so protection is my main question.

I don't mind spending a few hundred pounds(max £500) on a detail to get started as long as it makes life easier to maintain the finish afterwards.

What would be the best way forward and is there any recommendations for a detailer in the West Midlands area? I have asked the dealer and they have said that it is ok for me to have a detailer to detail the car at the dealers instead of them doing it so would this be my best option or let the dealer do there thing and then have it detailed?
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 09:20 by I wanted a GTi »
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: New nightshade blue GTD arriving in March-help needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2017, 03:30 »
It doesn't really matter to be honest if they do it at the dealership or on their own premises, as either way they'll be doing a new car detail which will include polishing, so even if the dealership prepare the car and swirl the paintwork, it will be corrected. Perhaps better to have the detailer to do the work at their own premises, which might be better than at the dealership (less dust, better working conditions etc?).  Or you could have the dealer do the PDI but not prep the car and take it directly to the detailer.

As for protection, as you don't have the facilities at home to wash and need to keep the maintenance as simple as possible, then you're best off looking at a good nano or ceramic coating and sealant, such as Gtechniq offerings or similar, which will offer maximum long term protection and help make maintenance easier.  A good detailer will be able to take you through the protection packages they can offer and which would be the most appropriate for your situation.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2017, 09:15 »
Thanks for the advice. Looking at your car and the amount of work you put into it makes me wish I had someplace to work on my cars.

In that case I think I would be better letting the dealer do their thing and just ask them to be as carful as they can. I know the dealer offers a protection plan but even the dealer didn't seem too impressed with it and said that most if not all dealers use the cheapest labour and products and are not in anyway skilled at cleaning a car. On a plus side they have a pearl black GTD in the showroom that was swirl free.

Is there a one stop shop for all things detailing where I could prepare myself by getting everything needed to keep the car looking great after it is detailed? I see you and others use a snow lance to go onto your power washers but is there a good hand held non power washer equivalent.

I don't mind having to bring everything needed to the self wash place I drive past most days, including water for washing and just using the self wash for hosing down and rinsing the car.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2017, 09:18 »
Booth11 is correct regarding the detailer correcting the paintwork if the dealer causes swirls, but there are two negatives to that:
You'll be paying more for the correction
You'll be removing (albeit only a small amount) lacquer unnecessarily

If you can find a detailer that will carry out the detail at the dealership, you'll probably find that the dealership will allow the detailer to remove the transport packaging (or at least do that while the detailer is present).  Lowest risk of damage that way.

In terms of using £ per 5 minute jet washes, you can still use the 2BM - carry warm water in empty pop bottles, or empty 5L screenwash bottles etc.  Get two codes for the jet wash, use on to pre-wash, then 2BM wash with the products and buckets you've brought with you, then use the second code to rinse off - drying towel with your choice of drying aid after that.

Just seen your post pop up before I post the above, the car may look swirl free thanks to fillers and glazes, the reality is probably somewhat different (although some dealers are actually pretty good, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in this case).  That said, dealership protection products/packages are never worth the money.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2017, 09:45 »
Booth11 is correct regarding the detailer correcting the paintwork if the dealer causes swirls, but there are two negatives to that:

If you can find a detailer that will carry out the detail at the dealership, you'll probably find that the dealership will allow the detailer to remove the transport packaging (or at least do that while the detailer is present).  Lowest risk of damage that way.

In terms of using £ per 5 minute jet washes, you can still use the 2BM - carry warm water in empty pop bottles, or empty 5L screenwash bottles etc.  Get two codes for the jet wash, use on to pre-wash, then 2BM wash with the products and buckets you've brought with you, then use the second code to rinse off - drying towel with your choice of drying aid after that.

Just seen your post pop up before I post the above, the car may look swirl free thanks to fillers and glazes, the reality is probably somewhat different (although some dealers are actually pretty good, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt in this case).  That said, dealership protection products/packages are never worth the money.

Yes I would have no problem bringing the water to the wash place myself but does it have to be warm/hot water?

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2017, 10:21 »

Yes I would have no problem bringing the water to the wash place myself but does it have to be warm/hot water?

Not at all, just more comfortable to wash with warm rather than cold.  When I've done it previously, I've filled from the hot tap straight into a few 2L plastic bottles, and the jet wash was only 5-10 minutes so it was still warm when I arrived.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2017, 14:25 »
Thanks for the advice. Looking at your car and the amount of work you put into it makes me wish I had someplace to work on my cars.

In that case I think I would be better letting the dealer do their thing and just ask them to be as carful as they can. I know the dealer offers a protection plan but even the dealer didn't seem too impressed with it and said that most if not all dealers use the cheapest labour and products and are not in anyway skilled at cleaning a car. On a plus side they have a pearl black GTD in the showroom that was swirl free.

Is there a one stop shop for all things detailing where I could prepare myself by getting everything needed to keep the car looking great after it is detailed? I see you and others use a snow lance to go onto your power washers but is there a good hand held non power washer equivalent.

I don't mind having to bring everything needed to the self wash place I drive past most days, including water for washing and just using the self wash for hosing down and rinsing the car.

I think it's worth pointing out that even on an unprepped car fresh from the dealership, a new car pro detail will almost always include a refinement polish after decontaminating the car, so you'd be losing some clearcoat anyway, all that will be done in addition is most likely a little bit of swirl correction, and unless it's really bad won't make that much of a difference to the amount of clearcoat that would be removed anyway with the refinement polish. It may bump up the cost a bit as brettblade points out.

There are a number of very good detailing websites where you can buy the basics you need for maintenance washes and drying at the car wash place.  Take a look at my guide in this thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0. which includes links to good reputable sites and also some info on equipment and other things which may be helpful.  The list of equipment is on the extensive side as it's geared towards those doing their own detailing, but some basics such as a couple of buckets, PH neutral shampoo, wash mitt, wheel mitt, drying towels etc will get you started with a mobile kit you can take along to the car wash.  You can add other things as you go along, and think about top up protection to complement whatever protection the pro detailer uses. There's also some links to washing and drying technique at the end of the post which might be helpful.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2017, 14:30 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

mattwilko92

« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2017, 19:36 »
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ is your friend if you want to gain knowledge on detailing.

You could take all the kit to a £ per minute wash, but I'm guessing it would be a pain and also battling the weather.

I live in the Midlands also, recommended detailers are MidlandsCarCare over in Walsall and Beau Technique which are in East Midlands. Examples of their work can be found on detailingworld or Facebook.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2017, 09:19 »
Thanks for the all the replies, I now have a list of must haves to get for day to day upkeep after I get it detailed. I will get some sort of ceramic coating put on it but I suppose which one I use depends on which detailer I use, just looking into ones around my area at the minute.

As for ceramic coatings, how good are they at reducing swirl marks from washing/drying? Would it work with a jet black iPhone 7+?

mattwilko92

« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2017, 10:34 »
Thanks for the all the replies, I now have a list of must haves to get for day to day upkeep after I get it detailed. I will get some sort of ceramic coating put on it but I suppose which one I use depends on which detailer I use, just looking into ones around my area at the minute.

As for ceramic coatings, how good are they at reducing swirl marks from washing/drying? Would it work with a jet black iPhone 7+?

Ultimately they are only as good as your wash technique. If you use a good pre wash / snow foam and pressure wash dirt off, followed by the 2 bucket method with a good wash mitt and finally dry with a large good quality towel - then the chancing of swirling have dropped considerably.

I am not sure i understand what you are asking regarding an iPhone 7 + ?