Author Topic: Mats in the washing machine  (Read 1929 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Mats in the washing machine
« on: 22 December 2016, 11:07 »
The carpet overmats in my Passat are pretty grubby now, so I was going to give them a go in the washing machine (when my wife is out) Has anyone tried this before? I've got a brand new set that I bought as spares when I bought the car, so I do have a backup if they do get ruined.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Mats in the washing machine
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2016, 13:41 »
I find that a good dose of dishwashing liquid in a bucket of warm water, followed by a visit from the pressure cleaner works very well. Get the mats nice and wet with the solution in the bucket, leave to soak in for 30 mins or so (use something like a nail brush on the real manky areas)...then clean it all off with the pressure cleaner.

Brings mine up like new again...and they must be at least 10 years old!
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2016, 06:39 »
They'd be fine mate - id be taking them to a laundrette though just in case it did anything to your machine?

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2016, 16:37 »
In answer to my own question, yes you can wash your mats in the washing machine. I did mine today and they came up like new. Or should I say were like new until I tumble dried them for too long, or on too high a heat. The glue that holds the edging on melted, resulting in some on it that's peeled away or got rubbed off.

Next time, I'll wash them just as before, but let them dry in the airing cupboard.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2016, 19:20 »
Think I'll stick to my method.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.