Author Topic: MK2 8v GTI dying after starting up after 2 years  (Read 5956 times)

Offline turfandy

• Not said much yet
MK2 8v GTI dying after starting up after 2 years
« on: 12 December 2016, 09:01 »
Hi, hope someone can help, I've had an 8v gti for 4 years now, last 2 years its been sat in my garage, it started and ran well beforehand, took it off road to sort out headlining (still havent done), drivers seat retrim (still havent done) and doors needed respray from a poor job from a previous owner (guess what) spent time keeping on top of an MG ZS180 and Jeep. Any way the MG has gone and I want to get the Golf back. I charged the battery and emptied the old fuel out, put fresh fuel in. It started first time, then died after 3 or 4 secs, tried again exactly the same, tried starting with foot down, same again. Cleaned out the throttle body and ISV, new plugs, oil and filter change. Tried again, now runs for about 6 secs then dies. Can hear the fuel pump priming, the ISV buzzing. Will start every time, then just dies again, longest its ran is about 10 secs, sounds good till it dies. Any help appreciated

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: MK2 8v GTI dying after starting up after 2 years
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2016, 14:19 »
Go and see Charlie Smith at Lower Corve Street Garage in Ludlow. There's nothing he doesn't know about these cars. He sorted out my 16V earlier this year.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline h8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2016, 14:22 »
I'd try connecting 12volts directly to the fuel pump to make it run permanently and see if that fixes your problem.

I can't remember offhand which is the fuel pump relay, but if you listen to and feel the relays (under the right hand side of the steering column) you can feel which ones operate when the ignition is switched on.  Find which one is for the fuel pump (unplug to check the pump doesn't run), then jump the two big contacts with a short piece of wire.  The pump should run constantly.  Now keep your fingers crossed and start the engine.

That could identify your problem.

Edit...Fuel pump relay is likely to be relay No 18, bottom right of the relays.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2016, 14:26 by h8v »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2016, 14:37 »
If its ce2 its bottom right for the relay ce1 isnt... I know if your running ce1 you can just flip the relay upside down and itll bridge it for you.
If fuel pumps priming relays atleast working to let the pump prime.

Is this k-jet of digi fuel management?

Offline turfandy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2016, 20:20 »
Thanks for your help, it's a digi, will have another go tomorrow with the relays and fuel pump and see what happens

Offline turfandy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2016, 13:45 »
Tried running a wire across the relay points, can hear the pump running constantly but it still cuts out after 6-10 secs, put a new ECU in, still the same. Cleaned the earthing points, am I missing something stupid. Thanks for any help

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2016, 14:48 »
Hasnt got an aftermarket immobilizer has it?
If you olf the throttle open will it run
Unplugged the maf and tried that

Offline turfandy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2016, 15:23 »
Hi thanks for that, I don't think there's any other immobiliser fitted, tried unplugging the MAF, still the same, splutters to the usual stop, I'm up to about 10 secs now though. Starts with throttle open runs for about the same and then dies away.

Offline turfandy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2016, 16:40 »
Not sure if this helps or not but Had another go with someone else starting it, just before it cuts out it sucks the sides of the pipe between the throttle body and filter together then dies as though it's trying suck in loads of air. If I take this off it cuts out the same but obviously nothing to see. Could an immobiliser do this? Thanks again for any help. Still sounds really good for those few seconds.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2016, 17:43 »
You've not called Charlie yet then?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.