Author Topic: Hot rear wheel and a noise like a finger on a wine glass rim?  (Read 2608 times)

Offline mookie

• Here all the time
  • Geordie ABF!
Hi everyone. Picked up a Mk6 GTi today and after giving it a bit of a spirited drive tonight I noticed the passenger side wheel was red hot - you could touch it but it was like a hot radiator. I didn't touch the disc..

It also made a funny sound a couple of times, like a finger running round the top of a wine glass. But not rotational, more continuous and unbroken until I dabbed the brakes. Not grinds-squeal like a stuck brake though.

My first though it a stuck rear calliper but the noise has thrown me a bit?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Hot rear wheel and a noise like a finger on a wine glass rim?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2016, 10:34 »
Umm id say rear calliper stuck but could be the wheel bearing and its getting that hot the heats transfering to the alloy

Offline mookie

• Here all the time
  • Geordie ABF!
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2016, 12:39 »
Thanks for the reply!

After just a few minutes this morning on my 30mph commute, the rear passenger side was again mad hot, the disc was untouchable and there was a strong unpleasant smell. Sounds like a stuck calliper tbh yeah?

I only picked the car up yesterday  :rolleyes:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2016, 13:06 »
Yeh. Id personally take it back if its from a dealer. Otherwise see if the calliper will wind back.
Once i fitted a calliper to a mk2 and it stuck. Wound it back a fraction and was fine. So may well have had pads fitted and the caliper not been wound back enough

Offline mookie

• Here all the time
  • Geordie ABF!
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2016, 12:32 »
They stripped the caliper and cleaned it whilst I waited last night. Perfect again. They said it was a bit grotty from standing around on the forecourt for a while  :rolleyes:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2016, 17:46 »
Good to hear that its been sorted