Author Topic: 1997 AGG starting problem  (Read 1763 times)

Offline tmi

• Just got here
1997 AGG starting problem
« on: 19 November 2016, 00:53 »
Hi all,
My Golf has developed a really strange intermittent problem during starting that I cant figure out. Whats happening is that when I go to start the engine the starter will turn then stop and then turn again and then the engine will start, exactly as if the battery is dying and the lights dim and the clock on the dash will reset to 00:00. I replaced the battery thinking that was the problem but the same thing is still happening, not everytime, but at least once a day.
I recently replaced the ignition coil that decided to melt with a beru one i got from amazon as vw wanted £160! Not sure if its related but I didnt notice the starting problem before the coil melted into a goo. I know that the coil has got the ignition module built into it so not sure if that could be causing any pre ignition and stalling the starter motor, or maybe the starter itself is shorting out? The cars only done 45k so not sure when they tend to go. 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sam
« Last Edit: 19 November 2016, 00:59 by tmi »

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: 1997 AGG starting problem
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2016, 10:12 »
Battery connections tight. Or turn ignition on and jump the start soliniod with a screw driver see if it still trys to cut out and go again

Offline Leon27

• Here all the time
Re: 1997 AGG starting problem
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2016, 12:58 »
+1 for battery connections
Had this on my 16v. Also check all your earth leads are tight too, there should be one a main one to the gearbox if it's the same setup on the AGG. Might have corrosion on the mating surfaces.