Author Topic: Golf Mk7 black plastic B pillar - how to stop scratch marks???  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Re: Golf Mk7 black plastic B pillar - how to stop scratch marks???
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2016, 07:35 »
[quote author=Booth11 If you are going to only have it cleaned and polished by the detailer when the clocks change then you have nothing to worry about on the B pillar front as the polish will take care of them.  In the meantime get used to having a dirty car for long periods in between. It might be largely devoid of swirls due to the initial detail and occasional follow up details but if you can't see it under the dirt then but of a waste of cash IMO. Takes the 'no touch' approach to the extreme.
[/quote]

My Father was a very senior manager for a major car producer and he would never allow me to leave a dirty car outside the house.
That kind of treatment gets into your very soul and is why over forty years later I hardly ever clean any my cars to this very day, my last Golf I only cleaned twice in the 8 years I owned it, the dealers, before services, and God provided what cleaning it required.

However I am preparred to 'see how it goes' and if it does get REALLY dirty I will ask Tim at Envy for 'guidance'  :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2016, 10:41 »
[quote author=Booth11 If you are going to only have it cleaned and polished by the detailer when the clocks change then you have nothing to worry about on the B pillar front as the polish will take care of them.  In the meantime get used to having a dirty car for long periods in between. It might be largely devoid of swirls due to the initial detail and occasional follow up details but if you can't see it under the dirt then but of a waste of cash IMO. Takes the 'no touch' approach to the extreme.

My Father was a very senior manager for a major car producer and he would never allow me to leave a dirty car outside the house.
That kind of treatment gets into your very soul and is why over forty years later I hardly ever clean any my cars to this very day, my last Golf I only cleaned twice in the 8 years I owned it, the dealers, before services, and God provided what cleaning it required.

However I am preparred to 'see how it goes' and if it does get REALLY dirty I will ask Tim at Envy for 'guidance'  :smiley:
[/quote]

Lol.  Fair enough.  :smiley:  But this is the detailing section, and by default you tend to the find people knocking about in here like to clean their cars regularly.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 05 November 2016, 08:27 »
[quote author=Booth11
Lol.  Fair enough.  :smiley:  But this is the detailing section, and by default you tend to the find people knocking about in here like to clean their cars regularly.  :laugh:
[/quote]

Okay, Im now preparred to admit I really like the clean surface on the car.
After a couple of weeks looking at it all shiney and gleaming it really is very very impressive.

So, how exactly do I keep the exterior surface of the car clean?
Washing, yes but how exactly, new bucket, cloths and spanges I can do no problem, but do I use hot, tepid or cold water, a hose or buckets from the tap, what do I use a a cleaner (obviously Fairy liquid is out).
FYI the car stands out on the drive when not in use.

On a similar note, a visit to the dealers the other day revealed they had installed a demo car with one half finished with their much publicised Autogleam service (£350&?hr) and the other just 'cleaned' (whatever that means).
I stopped and ran the back of my finger over the 'polished' surface then the unpolished area and to be completely honest it was very hard to tell the difference.
I cannot help wondering if this a direct response to the possible loss of revenue should more new car owners consider choosing the Professional Detailing option (£450&2days) and when I questioned the salesman why they were doing it, he had the good grace to be slightly embarrassed.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 05 November 2016, 12:51 »

Okay, Im now preparred to admit I really like the clean surface on the car.
After a couple of weeks looking at it all shiney and gleaming it really is very very impressive.

So, how exactly do I keep the exterior surface of the car clean?
Washing, yes but how exactly, new bucket, cloths and spanges I can do no problem, but do I use hot, tepid or cold water, a hose or buckets from the tap, what do I use a a cleaner (obviously Fairy liquid is out).
FYI the car stands out on the drive when not in use.

On a similar note, a visit to the dealers the other day revealed they had installed a demo car with one half finished with their much publicised Autogleam service (£350&?hr) and the other just 'cleaned' (whatever that means).
I stopped and ran the back of my finger over the 'polished' surface then the unpolished area and to be completely honest it was very hard to tell the difference.
I cannot help wondering if this a direct response to the possible loss of revenue should more new car owners consider choosing the Professional Detailing option (£450&2days) and when I questioned the salesman why they were doing it, he had the good grace to be slightly embarrassed.

Lol.  Glad you already are seduced by a clean exterior.

Regarding the cleaning, I refer you to this thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=277318.0

Don't be daunted, as you really only need to focus on a basic set of equipment to keep on top of your pro Detail.  The most basic set would comprise:

- 3 wash buckets with grit guards - one for washing wheels (always the dirtiest part of the car), one for shampoo for rest of car, and one for rinse water.

- a good wash mitt, preferably a lambswool one (NO SPONGES)

- separate wheel mitt

- a good car shampoo

- good microfibre drying towels.

Doesn't matter what temperature the water is (I use cold, filtered water), but avoid using very hot water, which will wreck your lambswool wash mitt.  A pressure washer/hose setup will make life much easier and more effective cleaning, but failing that use a hose.

Lots of other things you can add, such as snow foam, tyre dressing, metal polish for tailpipes, interior dressings, glass cleaners, etc.....see the thread mentioned above for lists of products and recommendations.

Most importantly, look at the guides  to washing and drying techniques linked at the end of that thread, as good technique is key to keeping swirls at bay and is perhaps more important than the products that you choose.

Hope this helps.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11