Author Topic: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP  (Read 16445 times)

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP
« on: 16 September 2016, 19:18 »
Swung by a couple of dealerships today to get some quotes for the car's 3rd year service and asked what they had on servicing time/distance wise for the front differential (VAQ) also known by the OEM, Borg Warner, as FXD (Front Cross Differential).  Not seen anything on this forum in the past but some brief threads over on the golfmk7 and VWvortex forums which had mentioned 3 years but also linked to a Borg Warner webinar covering the FXD that states "oil filled for life" - how many years/miles "for life" counts as it doesnt say.

I got a copy of the Service related items and the recommended time/distances for the GTI Performance Pack which does indeed show that the differential's oil should be replaced every 3 years, no mileage given.  I'm assuming it is the same oil as the Haldex, no mention of filter change for the VAQ though.  Anyone had a service done on their VAQ yet?  Or anyone got access to the Maintenance Service Manual for more info?

ADDED:- I you have the time and want to know more about the VAQ technically, the video/webinar in this link covers them very thoroughly (https://vimeo.com/102644851).

See below the Service related items time/distance requirements and RRP pricing that were brought up for my 2013 GTI with Performance Pack.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2016, 23:07 by fergie7 »

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Jackie Treehorn

Re: VAQ Differential Servicing - mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2016, 19:51 »
Hi

I posted on G7 forum about it a long time ago and also watched the borg warner video, I thought at the time it was odd that VW seemed to imply a fill for life system but couldn't find any further info when i asked the dealer, especially when its a clutch pack diff, or torque vectoring process.  My rear BMW diff was fill for life but i manually changed it a 3 years with a extraction pump and refill. Porsche clutch pack LSD on GT3 requires a strip and rebuild every few years, so fill for life is unusual.

The dealer definition of "fill for life" is normally filled until out of normal service warranty and then "not our problem".  But as you have found info I would happily pay £100 for a refresh at 3 years, but if its 1 ltr or less of Castrol high spec diff oil LS*****  I will do it myself, same as the BMW.

« Last Edit: 16 September 2016, 19:54 by Jackie Treehorn »

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2016, 21:33 »
Interesting, my car has a pre paid 3rd service, I haven't asked about the diff oil service yet, but I think I know the answer from VW?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2016, 21:49 »
Interesting, my car has a pre paid 3rd service, I haven't asked about the diff oil service yet, but I think I know the answer from VW?

Same here. Looking at my agreement, the third service is "1x oil service and inspection service with extended scope at 30000 miles or 36 months". Not sure what "extended scope" means. I might contact them to see what they cover but I would want my diff oil changed if needed.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2016, 22:41 »
Hi

I posted on G7 forum about it a long time ago and also watched the borg warner video, I thought at the time it was odd that VW seemed to imply a fill for life system but couldn't find any further info when i asked the dealer, especially when its a clutch pack diff, or torque vectoring process.  My rear BMW diff was fill for life but i manually changed it a 3 years with a extraction pump and refill. Porsche clutch pack LSD on GT3 requires a strip and rebuild every few years, so fill for life is unusual.

The dealer definition of "fill for life" is normally filled until out of normal service warranty and then "not our problem".  But as you have found info I would happily pay £100 for a refresh at 3 years, but if its 1 ltr or less of Castrol high spec diff oil LS*****  I will do it myself, same as the BMW.

Nice forum name, the dude abides...
The "fill for life" actually comes from Borg Warner and not VW, seems strange to me and certainly a 3 year or say 20k mile interval would seem sensible.  I've not checked what oil it is that they take, cant see it being anything that isn't readily available, possibly uses the same as the Haldex.  Would be interesting/scary to see what Porsche charge for a complete strip and rebuild of the diff on the GT3 or what Ferrari charge for the F430 & 458 for that matter.

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Offline fergie7

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2016, 23:00 »

Same here. Looking at my agreement, the third service is "1x oil service and inspection service with extended scope at 30000 miles or 36 months". Not sure what "extended scope" means. I might contact them to see what they cover but I would want my diff oil changed if needed.

Unfortunately the 3rd year service doesn't cover the diff, this would be additional, the two prices I got from dealers I went to were £104.40 and £123.06 for changing the diff oil.  I've just taken out another years extended warranty cover, so looking to take the car to a VW dealership again to hopefully prevent any potential issues if anything happened in the next year.

I'm not sure what the "extended scope" is that makes up the 3rd year service over and above a minor service.  Wouldn't be surprised if the "extended scope" inspections/checks are effectively covered by the MOT anyway.

MkI Golf GTI 1.8 (1982)
MkVII Golf GTI PP (2013)

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2016, 06:02 »
On a golf as new as these an mot proves nothing, i had the major service done to my mk6 to satisfy me as despite the stamps in the book i don't know who owned it.  I am obsessive, so i would change the oil and filter when it wants it not when vw say is never, i like to know my cars are in a better mood than all the others out there.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2016, 08:57 »
On the subject of 3rd year service, be careful on this one it's 30,000 mile maximum.  I took mine in for it's 3rd year service recently and was over the max so had to pay £230 for it.  I personally feel they stitched me up on it a little by using long life oil for the first 2 services which meant there was no way my 3rd would come in under 30,000 miles.

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2016, 09:34 »
Normally surely you service the car either on the year or mileage, whichever comes first. Not wait past the mileage for the year to be up.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2016, 09:54 »
On the subject of 3rd year service, be careful on this one it's 30,000 mile maximum.  I took mine in for it's 3rd year service recently and was over the max so had to pay £230 for it.  I personally feel they stitched me up on it a little by using long life oil for the first 2 services which meant there was no way my 3rd would come in under 30,000 miles.

Thats what I thought Ant..

OK you went over the 30k miles/3 years under the VW Service plan conditions but whether they used Longlife oil or not the car should have given you warnings the service was due at 30k mile/three years ( unless you were set up for Longlife Servicing).

I thought there was 500 mile leeway on servicing points anyway perhaps it depends on the dealer.