Author Topic: Windscreen  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Tanuie

• Not said much yet
Windscreen
« on: 09 September 2016, 13:02 »
Hi, how much would it cost for a new Windscreen for a golf mk 5
Many thanks.

Online SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2016, 15:56 »
Assuming you've got glass cover under your motor insurance you'll just have to pay your glass excess, which if you check your insurance policy, will probably be around £70-£80. Claiming for a new windscreen on your insurance won't affect your no claims discount.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2016, 02:31 »
Do NOT get a new screen fitted through your insurance!  Virtually all insurance companies have ramped up their glass excess to over £100 now.  But the worst problem with insurance supplied windscreens are that they are non-genuine crap glass supplied by Bell-end Belron - who are a South African company who own and supply Autogla$$.  These Belron manufactured screens do not comply with vehicle Type Approval (despite displaying an E number).  They are usually optically impure, and the tint specification does not match the OEM tint spec.  And the tint spec is important for the correct operation of both rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, and auto dimming interior mirror.

Best advice is to order a genuine screen through TPS (about £170), and pay £50 or so for a trusted independent glass fitter.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2016, 14:31 »
Cheaper price than aitoglass quated me...

(correct thread now)

Offline Tanuie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2016, 10:15 »
Do NOT get a new screen fitted through your insurance!  Virtually all insurance companies have ramped up their glass excess to over £100 now.  But the worst problem with insurance supplied windscreens are that they are non-genuine crap glass supplied by Bell-end Belron - who are a South African company who own and supply Autogla$$.  These Belron manufactured screens do not comply with vehicle Type Approval (despite displaying an E number).  They are usually optically impure, and the tint specification does not match the OEM tint spec.  And the tint spec is important for the correct operation of both rain sensing wipers, auto headlights, and auto dimming interior mirror.

Best advice is to order a genuine screen through TPS (about £170), and pay £50 or so for a trusted independent glass fitter.
#
Hi i went on to TPS website and they don't appear to do Golf mk 5 windscreens.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2016, 21:46 »

#
Hi i went on to TPS website and they don't appear to do Golf mk 5 windscreens.
Erm - the TPS website is primarilly for oils/fluids/consumables and service items.  Pick up the dog'n'bone Monday and ask them.  Don't forget they will need either your reg or VIN.  :nerd:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Tanuie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2016, 08:51 »
Erm - the TPS website is primarilly for oils/fluids/consumables and service items.  Pick up the dog'n'bone Monday and ask them.  Don't forget they will need either your reg or VIN.  :nerd:

Thanks for the reply, will phone them nearer the MOT time.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2016, 21:09 »
Autoglass have fitted OEM windscreens both times I had it changed on my mk7.... not a cheaper substitute.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2016, 17:56 »
Autoglass have fitted OEM windscreens both times I had it changed on my mk7.... not a cheaper substitute.
'OEM' - or genuine Volkswagen screens, complete with the VW logo?
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2016, 19:02 »
Complete with VW logo, the genuine item.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles