Author Topic: Oil consumption Mk6 Golf GTI TSI  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Rowley102

• Just got here
Oil consumption Mk6 Golf GTI TSI
« on: 06 September 2016, 15:33 »
I have a 2009 VW Golf GTI MK6 and its using much more oil than it used to do. It's recently had a engine rebuild due to my timing tensioner failing completely rebuilding the head, its had a new inlet cam, new VVT unit and new piston rings. Before it used about 1 litre of oil every 10,000 miles now its used around 4.5 litres in nearly 4000 miles since its been rebuilt. I am currently using Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive oil, I have also tried Castrol Edge 5W-30 and 5W-40. It seems to have calmed down slightly with the millers but not massively. The engine runs sweet as a nut its not smoking and sounds fine and does great MPG. The exhaust tips go sutty after not so long but I have been told this is normal on the GTIs. The garage has checked the engine over to find no leaks or anything major that could point towards the oil consumption. They have agreed to fully strip it down but I am wanting to try other measures before this happens. I have tried a engine oil additive to try and reduce it but this hasnt done anything. PCV valve could be a possible problem but there are other symtoms normally with this and my car is doing none of them to suggest its broken. Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: Oil consumption Mk6 Golf GTI TSI
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2016, 17:20 »
Mines used about 4l of oil in 12000 miles, it gets 5w30 like the book says it should, i use castrol edge.
Does it smoke or smell at all?
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Buck

• I live here
  • Das Auto
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2016, 13:36 »
How many miles have you done since the rebuild?  Is it still settling down?

1l per 1000 miles does sound excessive.  Have you any oil leaks under the car when it is stood?  If not, then it lends itself to being one of the internal seals not being tight enabling the oil to be burnt off.

Is the garage VW or an independent?

Offline Rowley102

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2017, 14:22 »
Roughly on 76k now was on 66k when it wws rebuilt. and its calmed down a hell of a lot. Still uses some but no where near as much. Changed PCV there was a slight leak but seems to have calmed down since adding liqui moly engine leak treatment. Garage is independent