Author Topic: this forum need to fix up  (Read 8937 times)

Offline mwad gti

• Here all the time
Re: this forum need to fix up
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2016, 21:11 »
Most of the people that made the Mk6 section busy have moved on to Mk7's. People may view posts, but if they have nothing to say on the topic, there's no reason to reply.

I agree dubber36, and many of those people would have been the more active Mk6 members when they owned their Mk6's. That's why it seems quite quiet in the Mk6 section compared to a couple of years ago.

I'm no longer a Mk6 owner. I do still visit most days though, and if I've anything I feel is useful or relevant to say, I'll contribute. I also contribute in the Mk7 section as you do, although I'm not a Mk7 owner either; still VW though.
Top chap :wink:
Candy White 3 dr Manual 2012 GTi. Bought new.
DAB, Dynaudio, Kenwood Head Unit Upgrade, Private Plate,
Full Leather and Heated Seats
18" Shadow Monzas, luxury pack.
Colour coded side skirts and gloss black diffuser.

Offline FBASH1R

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2016, 20:30 »
Ive looked on the FB page and cant seem to find any member posts? Just what the page has posted its self? Would like to find a really active GTI community.

if you want an active fb page with plenty of gti owners join v-dub tuners, vag gang, mk6 golf owners uk. im on these pages and you get instant welcome messages and replies theres also parts up for grabs.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2016, 17:59 »
This is a great forum.

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 19 October 2016, 23:07 »
as the title says. all the posts have many views but hardly any replies..its a shame..the facebook page is WAY more helpful than this forum. you get instant replies. on here you might not even get one and when you do..it will take 24hours maybe more..maybe its just the mk6 side?

I said this agggeeessssss ago!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 30 October 2016, 14:49 »
Kind of self-fixing this. Start more threads yourself, reply to other people :)

^^^^ this!

When you look at when this thread was posted and when I replied it kind of says it all.
I had two mk5's, two mk6's and have now had two mk7's. Each time a new model comes out there are lots of questions and new things to discuss but after a while it all gets a bit stale going over the same ground.
I still used to visit the mk6 section regularly in the early days of my mk7 ownership as I still had things I could contribute but now I rarely visit. When I had my mk6's there were no real running issues commonplace but it wasn't too long before certain issues became prevalent but I had no experience of these problems once I'd moved on.

As said elsewhere in this thread, all forums are quieter now thanks to social media and changes in peoples buying habits too. Less people buy older cars and fix them up or modify them nowadays as younger people want new cars on deals like their phone contracts which in turn limits the scope of forums that cater for non current models.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2016, 10:26 »
I'm the same, used to use the Mk6 section when I had my GTi but now I have my Mk7R I occasionally pop in the Mk7 section.

My preferred forum is VWROC which is very active by modern one make forum standards, but then with so many R's on the road it has a large user base.

The Mk6 doesn't seem to have the same following the Mk5 did (which also has its own forum elsewhere) so maybe it's the model which has been bypassed slightly.
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2016, 13:40 »
Well strangely the mk6 has gone under the radar, and it alongside the mk7 is my favourite gti since early 1992. When i first saw a mk6, i thought, yes. To me the mk5 was almost right but is rapidly looking dated now, the mk4 wasn't a gti, the mk3 went into battle with damp powder but with a bit more spice can stand up for itself.  But the best (at the time) modern (not retro) gti didn't get noticed, then it was replaced with the mk7 which did get noticed.

Its not very often i see a mk6 GTI or R (rare).  Mk7s gtis are out there and Rs ar relatively common.

I suppose everyone who bought a gti in the 80s now buys a gtd, less enthusiasm for those, more gtd=less gti means less of a community.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2016, 15:51 »
The GTI did sort of get left behind.
Hot Diesels came of age during the mk4 and mk5 era but although VW group made some of the best engines it was late in the day before VW put the 170TDI into the Golf and SEAT stole the lead.
I think ANT is right, as a former mk2 GTI owner myself (I had four or five, I can't remember exactly as it was a long time ago!) I always preferred the lower revving 8v and lots of ex-8v owners went for GTD's for their drivability in real world conditions and company car scheme friendliness.
Although I had two mk6 GTI's I preferred the GTD in many ways and now I've had a mk7 GTI and R I can still see why people go for GTD's above a GTI, plus the more performance orientated owners have now moved on to uber hatches like the R, RS's and AMG A45's.
In five to ten years it'll probably be all about GTE's and the world will have moved on yet again.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2016, 17:04 »
Kind of self-fixing this. Start more threads yourself, reply to other people :)

^^^^ this!

^^Yes this many times over.

You get out what you put in with forums IMO.

I used to be very active in this section when I had my mk6 GTI, and if I'd been aware of this forum (or had the time) I would have been active in the mk5 section when I my 2 mk5's.  On getting a mk7 R I naturally progressed to the mk7 section because it was relevant to do so. I think this is still a great forum, but in all honesty I spend a bit less time here because, though I was initially reticent about the VWROC forum, it is R specific and last year felt that GTI owners were getting a tad tired of lots of R talk.  But I like to divide the forum time I have between both places.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2016, 09:59 »
Personally I have found this forum extreemly helpful when I specified, ordered and received my new Mk7.
The assistance I received regarding post PDI detailing and GAP insurance was superb and worth a subscription on its own.

I subscribe to apprx 30 forums in around 10 countries and Golfgtiforum is one for the top 4or 5 for content and solid assistance and advice.
A good forum should be a scource of help and advice first and foremost, secondary a discussion group but only if the subject is relevant to the forum aims.
A forum is not be a facebragging/nettyfuy/mine is bigger than yours platform, and certainly not cliquey which often leads to the ruination of so many forums.

Booth 11 and the longer standing members are obviously a down to earth bunch of individuals and I fully support them in the endeavours to keep this forum running exactly as it is.

However commercial operators now understand the revenue potential in forum ownership, and I expect the vultures have already looked over the horizon, if not actually circling.