Author Topic: Mk1 Golf Cab timing  (Read 3233 times)

Offline jamiesgolf

• Not said much yet
Mk1 Golf Cab timing
« on: 22 August 2014, 10:33 »
Hi, having some trouble timing my 1800cc golf. the cam belt hasn't been off, so i presume the cam and crank/ flywheel must still be in time. I tried setting the cam to the tdc mark (assuming that the crank would then be at tdc also). I then took off the distributor and adjusted the little slit the distributor sits in so it was parallel to the block? (dunno why i just read thats how you do it). Still won't start- i'm probably doing something wrong, any ideas?

thanks in advance

roberto

Re: Mk1 Golf Cab timing
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2014, 20:20 »
maybe you are just looking in the wrong place? :huh:

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
Re: Mk1 Golf Cab timing
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2015, 05:17 »
if the bottom covers are still on, you should see the notch for the bottom pulley on the TDC marker of the cover.  With that in place, the cam wheel should have the little dot on the top surface edge of the cam cover.  The dizzy arm should line up with the notch in the dizzy body.

If not, remove the bottom covers and check the dot on the crank pulley lines up with the timing pulley.

If everything is lined up and dizzy is out, then twist it until it is in the right place.

Failing that, if it is close to starting, get a mate to crank it whilst you twist the dizzy (cap and leads all connected) both ways until it fires, then get your timing light out...
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...