Author Topic: Exhaust Querie!!  (Read 5095 times)

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
Exhaust Querie!!
« on: 22 June 2014, 12:16 »
Right, my current exhaust has a crack in it. The garage welded it so it's not causing any issues, tho it sounded so beefy when it was blowing haha!!

Anyways, I need to get a new one at some point. Now I remember someone saying you can have a decat pipe on a diesel. Yet a few of my friends said they don't think that's true, that it would fail an mot based on the emissions?

This is what I considered getting, until I was told I'd have to pretty much swap the exhaust when getting an mot done....

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Exhaust Querie!!
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2014, 15:17 »
Ran a decat on my Golf for over 3 years

It passed every MOT

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2014, 18:30 »
I believe that there were new laws bought in early this year stating that a cat must be present if there was one originally fitted.

A few guys on here are MOT testers I think...Mr Bounce maybe?

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2014, 17:54 »
I believe that there were new laws bought in early this year stating that a cat must be present if there was one originally fitted.

As Si said, the law has recently changed. Last year I went through the testers manual with the guy who does mine.

It WAS legal last year to run a diesel car manufactured before a certain date without it's cat.

This year it's changed back again. Depends how friendly you are with an MOT tester I suppose as to wether he will pass it or not.......

A diesel car is only subject to a smoke test, not an emissions test. So, it's more a cosmetic check than anything else.
2002 GT TDI, Hybrid, Diff etc. 221BHP 355LB/FT