Author Topic: EGR Delete. pointless exercise?  (Read 14127 times)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
EGR Delete. pointless exercise?
« on: 02 April 2014, 10:55 »
Originally I thought removing the EGR valve was a no brainer until I read this:

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

and I have to say everything said in that article makes sense. What's the point in removing the EGR valve at cost when apparently the ECU shuts the valve on full throttle anyway. And when you're not on full right foot there's no point in having more power anyway.

Personally I love the MPG I get from my remapped 150PD and then I enjoy putting 185bhp/320torques down when I need to overtake too :D

Can someone convince me otherwise why the EGR should be removed?
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Dean_W

• GTI forum regular
Re: EGR Delete. pointless exercise?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 13:42 »
It recycles dirty exhaust gas back into the manifold. Filling it full of junk. And over time, affecting performance and economy.

For the few quid it saves there isn't any point in it.
2002 GT TDI, Hybrid, Diff etc. 221BHP 355LB/FT

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2014, 22:10 »
The whole whether to delete the EGR valve question has arisen again over on Facebook along with people asking if it was worth the losing the anti-shudder valve as well as obviously its integrated into the EGR on PD130/50 engines.

What i'm hoping somebody could answer me is, rather than completely deleting the EGR valve and anti-shudder valve would it be possible to disconnect the main vacuum pipe from the EGR, remove and blank off the exhaust intake pipe which attaches to it therefore eradicating the likelihood of it getting caked in crap in the future whilst still retaining the anti-shudder valve located on the top of it with it's own vacuum hose still intact and active?
Would the anti-shudder valve still operate independently?

Failing that I do have a PD130 specific EGR delete pipe in the shed i could utilse but have heard assorted views on how it affects engine shut off due to the lack of anti-shudder which eventually has an increased detrimental effect on the engine mounts.

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2014, 00:28 »
the way ive deleted my egr on mine is: boutght 2 pieces of metal that fit nicely over the egr part of the manifold and the bottom of the egr unit. turned the egr right down, maybe even off using vagcom and thsts it! ive kept all thr anti shudder valve and didnt have to sod about atall with any vacum lines. and the best thibg is it cost me about £4 for the plates
i think i love you.....

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2014, 00:37 »
What are the 2 pieces of metal doing exactly, do you mean for the blanking the exhaust flanges?

So you still have a fully operational ASV?

Offline Godzilla

• I live here
  • <<<VR6 MADNESS>>>
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2014, 16:27 »
I bought a PD130 last week which came with a full s/s exhaust and full EGR delete as in a s/s pipe. I am very new to these engines so reading the above has proved of interest to me. I took the inlet manifold off and it is as clean as a whistle in there......Only thing my car keeps doing is blowing the original VW hose that connects to the EGR delete pipe off?

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2014, 23:41 »
godzilla, they always blow the hoses off its coz of the pantsy bayonet and clip fittings they use
thai, yes its the flange that the pipe between the manifold and egr valve bolts to. yes the asv is still fully functional. im going to be honest i only did it this way as it was about £4 for the way i did mine or £50odd squid for an allard or similar one. yes im a cheapskate lol
i think i love you.....

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2014, 01:00 »
Likewise mate and refuse to spend money on pointless modifications. As mentioned I already have a delete pipe kit that I originally bought for my mk3 TDI and never fitted so the cost isnt an issue in this instance,  its just that the more I read on the topic the more undecided I become plus I like things to work  correctly.
I think il just have to do some trials with the EGR fitted and disconnected, with and without the ASV connected then with the delete pipe kit and make my own mind up from there.

More importantly i need to empty the oil from my intercooler that has recently decided to decorate my parking spot!   :undecided:

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2014, 10:30 »
ahh lovley, the oil breather system might be a blit blocked or something. to be honest all thr asv does that i can see is helps the engine shut off with less of a jolt
i think i love you.....

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2014, 10:40 »
From what i understand the ASV not only reduces shutdown vibration but also reduces the risk of diesel runaway and certain self destruction which is obviously a necessity in my eyes.