Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2763000 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7400 on: 18 October 2017, 21:21 »
I love both auto and manual but for a GTI, got to be a manual, loving it :smiley:. Hoping the mods I do sharpen up the experience, the spring delete was a good start, hopefully the delay valve removal will be worthwhile too. May try that at the weekend whilst I have a (un)willing helper for bleeding :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Snooze

• I live here
« Reply #7401 on: 19 October 2017, 09:39 »
Result! The soundaktor drove me mad so I unplugged it
2015 Mk7 Golf Gti 3dr Manual, Carbon Steel Grey, Michelin PS4's

Offline CocoPops

• I live here
« Reply #7402 on: 19 October 2017, 11:19 »
Another bonus for DSG... no dodgy eBay door stops, no creaky springs.

You're right, but us manual drivers get to drive our cars :whistle:

Haha! I used to be of the same opinion.
Now, I'm a DSG convert  :grin:

If I want manual, I take the Evora 400 to work  :whistle:

So, just for my benefit... all the clutch stop does is reduce travel? Same as not pushing it as far with your foot? It doesn't change bite point etc.
2018 GTI Performance Pack DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, Leather, 18" Seville Wheels, DCC Suspension, Tints, RVC
2018 Lotus Elise Sport220
Previous : 1983 Mk1 Golf 1.1 & 2008 Mk5 Golf GTI Ed30

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7403 on: 19 October 2017, 11:32 »
Another bonus for DSG... no dodgy eBay door stops, no creaky springs.

You're right, but us manual drivers get to drive our cars :whistle:

Haha! I used to be of the same opinion.
Now, I'm a DSG convert  :grin:

If I want manual, I take the Evora 400 to work  :whistle:

So, just for my benefit... all the clutch stop does is reduce travel? Same as not pushing it as far with your foot? It doesn't change bite point etc.

Exactly. You could as you say not push it as far but at junctions you need to be ready to go and having a point where the pedal stops will make things easier than hovering somewhere inbetween especially in town driving. But I'll find out how useful it really is once I've given it a go and if rubbish, straight on to ebay, plenty of people want them!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7404 on: 19 October 2017, 12:09 »
I might be wrong, but I've viewed this fiddling with the clutch mechanism as having a lot to do with our cousins on the other side of the pond not being as comfortable and familiar with "stick shift". I couldn't feel anything wrong with the clutch action or the gear change on my GTD - it always felt totally connected and capable of changing gear as fast as necessary.

I'm now a DSG convert too, with a VX220 for manual fun, but I'll still be interested to hear of any tangible benefits people find.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7405 on: 19 October 2017, 12:34 »
Is the DSG gear level still push forward for up the box and pull back for down the box, always irritated me as its the wrong way round?

Porsche PDK system was like this originally and they have now swapped it over.
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7406 on: 19 October 2017, 13:57 »
I love both auto and manual but for a GTI, got to be a manual, loving it :smiley:. Hoping the mods I do sharpen up the experience, the spring delete was a good start, hopefully the delay valve removal will be worthwhile too. May try that at the weekend whilst I have a (un)willing helper for bleeding :whistle:

I'm now wondering how it will work with auto hold? I have come to depend on it now. You only have to move your foot a small amount on the clutch for the autohold to let go. I think the way VW used to do it where you also needed to press the throttle.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7407 on: 19 October 2017, 14:27 »
Is the DSG gear level still push forward for up the box and pull back for down the box, always irritated me as its the wrong way round?

I can honestly say that I have never used the gear lever to swap cogs on my DSG. Why would you with the flappy paddles right to hand? I really don't use the paddles that much, as you can learn to make the 'box do just about whatever you want in "D", just using the throttle. Only when I want total control do I push the lever over to "S".
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7408 on: 19 October 2017, 14:28 »
Burger Motorsport Short throw clutch stop arrived today from ML Performance with a nice hand written note from the company owner.

So simple to fit, had to cut the end off as too long, also removed one spacer.

Just popped out for a quick drive and have to admit it does feel nicer to drive, was also able to re-adjust my seating position and sit a little further back. All in all a worth while little mod for us manual owners.

MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7409 on: 19 October 2017, 14:37 »

I can honestly say that I have never used the gear lever to swap cogs on my DSG. Why would you with the flappy paddles right to hand? I really don't use the paddles that much, as you can learn to make the 'box do just about whatever you want in "D", just using the throttle. Only when I want total control do I push the lever over to "S".

Having previously owned both Audi's DSG and BMWs SMGII, I did find the BMW system more driver focussed. That said to be fair it was one of the earlier DSG system and I understand they have improved it quite a bit since.

When accelerating up through the box I used the paddles, but always preferred to use the stick when dropping a gear for some reason, hence why I couldn't get on with DSG.