Author Topic: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG  (Read 248033 times)

Offline EpicUsername

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2013, 21:51 »
Starting to get me worried now. The high mpg was one of the main attractions for me. Right now my 10 year old 1.4L Civic does 45-50mpg on average and it's a bleedin Petrol lol.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2013, 21:52 »
hopefully its just because its a new engine MH.

Can you remember what your MPG was like in the Scirocco when you first got that?

Yes, 48-50mpg straight from new. MPG didn't improve much, but power did (maybe I drove it a bit harder when the power improved and negated any fuel savings, but it was considerably better then my GTD right now.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2013, 22:00 »
Hmm you're worrying me now. Only went for the GTD over the GTI for the mpg. Hope it does improve. Does the scirocco have a DPF?

Offline EpicUsername

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2013, 22:19 »
If you're getting 20mpg less than stated even when driving carefully I'd be tempted to call that serious grounds for a miss sale. It could cost you thousands in the long term.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2013, 22:47 »
If you're getting 20mpg less than stated even when driving carefully I'd be tempted to call that serious grounds for a miss sale. It could cost you thousands in the long term.

Wasn't expecting a DPF regen at just 65 mile on the clock either. Wondering if I have a leaky injector. I will register my early concern and see how it goes over the first 500 miles before getting the dealer to investigate.

I'm driving it gentler than the Scirocco (but not babying it), so i'm pretty sure driving style isn't to blame

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2013, 08:01 »
Hmm you're worrying me now. Only went for the GTD over the GTI for the mpg. Hope it does improve. Does the scirocco have a DPF?

Yes, Scirocco 170TDI has a DPF and absolutely no eco tech (stop start, brake regen etc) at all. I expected the GTD to match the Scirocco straight away on fuel economy and over time (maybe 5000 miles in) exceed it by 10%. Right now it is 15% under the Scirocco's. I've got to get from 44mpg to 60mpg (36% improvement) on my commute to meet expectations. I do think the car is tighter than the Scirocco was - it is really down on torque/power in 5th and 6th gear acceleration (but surprisingly livelier than the Scirocco lower down) - or maybe those gears are a bit taller than before. I will have to check what the engine is doing - the Scirocco was at 2200rpm at 80mph in 6th.

I’m hoping with extremely premature first DPF regen and poor mpg that the first few hundred miles are expected to be poor because all of the systems are running self-diagnostics, trying stuff out to find their optimum settings, and using more than usual fuel to do it. Perhaps with a more sophisticated set-up, there is more "learning" for to do. If that is the case then great – maybe VW should let us all know in the handbook to be aware that the first few hundred miles that the car is going to be running noticeably less than normal.

If VW introduce ACT/cylinder shutdown tech on the GTI engine in the future, this could be the last TDI that I buy.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 09:00 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2013, 14:43 »
Agree with that MH. My wife's new Polo Blue GT with the 1.4 ACT engine is currently delivering between 52-55mph, (and that's with the wife driving - who doesn't hang about). Took it to Cheshire Oaks retail park last week (circa 60 miles round trip) and it average an incredible 64.2mpg - that's from a 140ps Petrol !

So like you, if the next generation GTI's get this tech and can therefore get high 40's low 50's then it will be the last diesel I'll own as well !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2013, 14:51 »
Agree with that MH. My wife's new Polo Blue GT with the 1.4 ACT engine is currently delivering between 52-55mph, (and that's with the wife driving - who doesn't hang about). Took it to Cheshire Oaks retail park last week (circa 60 miles round trip) and it average an incredible 64.2mpg - that's from a 140ps Petrol !

So like you, if the next generation GTI's get this tech and can therefore get high 40's low 50's then it will be the last diesel I'll own as well !

What are you getting at the moment sootchucker? Or have you not had the chance to drive it what with all the product and paint application?  :whistle:

If I remember rightly your 140 Scirocco was a bit thirstier than mine, so maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised with yours. Maybe if you’re getting decent mpg already and no early DPF regens then it might confirm I have something wrong with mine like a leaky injector. My experiences kind of tally with my dad’s early days though. He had a long run home in it (Newcastle to Southampton) and managed 47mpg ave maintaining about 80mph (my Scirocco would have been pushing 60mpg). His though has been improving recently!

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2013, 15:45 »
Not had the opportunity to properly drive it until tomorrow bud (only got 17 miles on it at the moment  :grin:)
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

mjh_056

« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2013, 16:54 »

What are you getting at the moment sootchucker? Or have you not had the chance to drive it what with all the product and paint application?  :whistle:

If I remember rightly your 140 Scirocco was a bit thirstier than mine, so maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised with yours. Maybe if you’re getting decent mpg already and no early DPF regens then it might confirm I have something wrong with mine like a leaky injector. My experiences kind of tally with my dad’s early days though. He had a long run home in it (Newcastle to Southampton) and managed 47mpg ave maintaining about 80mph (my Scirocco would have been pushing 60mpg). His though has been improving recently!

Like that comment, but time well spent on the drive, looking good and love the painted calipers. GTD do have red on sport sound upgrade so not that unusual and be tempted to do myself.

But on to economy and as my arrival date comes close being paying more attention to performance of own as a comparison and on my 2 regular journeys of 125 and 225 roundtrips on A and Motorways I get between 48-52 MPG. (I do have stop start but it is rarely activated)

Given have DSG and fact that the quoted figures were likely optimistic my expectation was 50-55 MPG for same jouneys - Given regularity of my journey I should be able to give a pretty good comparison.

Mine did improve too, it was well over a 1000 miles before this now stable figure on an extended run became the normal.