Author Topic: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG  (Read 247948 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: MK7 GTD - Real Life MPG
« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2013, 18:26 »
Figures I've seen are 47.1 vs 44.1, which is a 6% reduction.  No idea if its 3 or 5 door, was just a review.  I doubt it makes much difference otherwise we'd be talking 20% losses in mpg just from sitting another adult in the car.  Most adults weigh more than 47kg.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2013, 18:42 »
Figures I've seen are 47.1 vs 44.1, which is a 6% reduction.  No idea if its 3 or 5 door, was just a review.  I doubt it makes much difference otherwise we'd be talking 20% losses in mpg just from sitting another adult in the car.  Most adults weigh more than 47kg.

Those are the GTI figs, with no 3 door/5 door penalty in either manual or auto, unlike the GTD.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline the other me

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2013, 15:27 »
Someone suggested using the crz control without utilising the active part. . if anyone can suggest how to do that (apart from putting a bin-liner over the radar) I would be glad to know, as , in moderate traffic, it is constantly on the brakes ,as it has no ability to anticipate.

The "eco" part of DSG (where engine revs drop to idle and you just coast) is also lost when using crz control in active (don't know about non-active crz control)  as I guess the car will brake if you exceed the set speed rather than just coast.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 30 August 2013, 19:50 »
Not a GTD I know, but using the adaptive cruise I managed to get 69.7mpg out of the 1.6 TDI bluemotion technologies hire car with 5500 miles on the clock and that was in heavy traffic on the motorway too so the adaptive cruise was working overtime.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2013, 16:55 »
Anyone got any real life figures for the DSG?
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2013, 17:11 »

Aye, my dad (GTD DSG, about 3500 miles on the clock) is getting about 46mpg on motorway miles (he likes to be pushing 85-90 when he doesn't stand out doing it), and about 54mpg on his commute to work which is 15 miles on 60mph single carriageway strictly doing 60mph because there are almost no opportunities to overtake and plenty of speed cameras about. His old MK5 Golf 170TDI GT (tuning box up to 200PS) gave better mpg, but the difference is in the box.

Offline stuart.cameron

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2013, 21:18 »

Aye, my dad (GTD DSG, about 3500 miles on the clock) is getting about 46mpg on motorway miles (he likes to be pushing 85-90 when he doesn't stand out doing it), and about 54mpg on his commute to work which is 15 miles on 60mph single carriageway strictly doing 60mph because there are almost no opportunities to overtake and plenty of speed cameras about. His old MK5 Golf 170TDI GT (tuning box up to 200PS) gave better mpg, but the difference is in the box.

Sounds alright :) Beats my current mpg of 35mpg
Current // Golf GTD 3dr DSG - Carbon Grey | Discovery Nav Pro, Keyless Entry, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Winter Pack
Previous // Polo GTI 6r - Black | Xenons, MFSW, Winter Pack, Sensor Pack, Convenience Pack, Climate Control, RNS 510 w/Bluetooth

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2013, 14:51 »
My current mpg for my first 135 miles in my manual GTD is as follows:-

First trip home from the garage and my first trip to work (7-20 miles) = 49mpg
The next few commutes with a little town traffic (20-65 miles) = 45mpg
Few more commutes with the car attempting DPF regen (65 - 105 miles) = 43mpg
Trip to the Metrocentre to use up the last of the delivery fuel (105-117 miles) = 40mpg
Trip from the Metrocentre with V-power Diesel fill up (117-130 miles) = 49mpg

Mpg so far is dissapointing to say the least. I could cane my Scirocco 170TDI and still get about 50mpg on my commute and probably 53mpg on the Metrocentre visit, without using V-power, in the summer.

I had 1 experimentation with V-power on my Scirocco and ended up with 5% more mpg, which didn't quite cover the premium, but a fair few VAG TDI users claim it knocks the number of DPF regens in half and gives around 5% gains. Right now V-power diesel (and petrol) is on triple points until the end of Sept, essentially 3p per litre off.

Hopefully the new gen engine is going through some learning curve that none of my previous TDIs have gone through to get better economy in the longer term. Some MK7 150TDI GT users have seen significant mpg gains over the first 4k miles, of around 10%.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2013, 17:58 »
Starting to see a pattern here. My old Scirocco got to 40mpg very easily on any journey (less than 4 miles) and then crept steadily to 50mpg without trying too hard, between 4 and 10 miles, and if I didn't hoof it, it crept up steadily to maybe 55mpg over the next 20 miles.

In my new GTD it seems to get to 35mpg very easily and quickly, creep up to 40mpg and then have tiny incremental gains up to 45mpg over another 10 miles. I got it up to 46mpg on a 35 mile round trip. I was up at about 44mpg when I hit a flat/slightly downhill stretch of the A1 on the way to the Metrocentre - this is usually where my mpg creeps up to 55mpg, but it stayed pretty steady at around 45-46mpg.Maintaining 75mph in this car on the flat seems a 45mpg operation, but a 55mpg operation in the Scirocco.  :undecided:

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2013, 20:48 »
hopefully its just because its a new engine MH.

Can you remember what your MPG was like in the Scirocco when you first got that?