Author Topic: New Shocks needed any recommendation?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Taff_09

• Not said much yet
New Shocks needed any recommendation?
« on: 04 July 2013, 20:46 »
Had the original /suspension shocks on the car for 150k now and they are really struggling with the ride, its bouncy!

any recommendation on good replacement shock absorbers? I do lot of motorway miles so looking for some which will give a nice smooth ride! :laugh:
Deep Pearl Black | Mk6 GTI 5dr | Manual | ACC | 18"Monza Shadows | Luxury/Storage Pack | Park Assist | F/R Park Sensors | RVC | RCD 510 | VW Bluetooth | Xenons| Winter Pack|3 YR Service Plan | Ordered 10/2010 and Collected 05/2011!!

GOLF GT TDI 130 140k all standard

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: New Shocks needed any recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2013, 21:25 »
Looking at lowering your car? Or just bog standard replacement?

Bilstein B4 are a good solid upgrade and you could use with lowering springs or not.

Offline Taff_09

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2013, 22:28 »
nah no need to lower it just want to replace but want the ride smooth.. if thats too much to ask!
Deep Pearl Black | Mk6 GTI 5dr | Manual | ACC | 18"Monza Shadows | Luxury/Storage Pack | Park Assist | F/R Park Sensors | RVC | RCD 510 | VW Bluetooth | Xenons| Winter Pack|3 YR Service Plan | Ordered 10/2010 and Collected 05/2011!!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2013, 22:49 »
nah no need to lower it just want to replace but want the ride smooth.. if thats too much to ask!

Just get some new regular shocks then mate. Probably the cheapest and best option if you won't be lowering. Get some new springs as well, newer ones will be firmer, perhaps stop you bouncing around.

Offline Taff_09

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2013, 22:57 »
tx for thoughts

what should i be expecting to pay for new fronts and rears?

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2013, 23:19 »
tx for thoughts

what should i be expecting to pay for new fronts and rears?

Don't get them new from VW. Ebay or TPS is probably your best bed. Have a look around.

I know you can probbaly get brand new bilstein B4s for about £300. So defo do not pay more than that!

Also, make sure you change the top mounts and bearings on both fronts and rears.

Offline Taff_09

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2013, 07:25 »
cheers mate

any reason is it best to get the top mounts and bearings done?

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2013, 15:25 »
stick on some sachs. there are a decent brand (well they were anyway before all them companies starting getting their parts made in third world countries to cut costs) so a reputable brand name means f all these days to be honest. if the top mounts and bearings are ok I would leave them on. don't ever renew parts that are still good because you will struggle to find the same quality as the originals. btw the rear suspension doesn't have bearings on it.