Author Topic: golf mk4 1.9 gt tdi 110bhp 1998 ****Bad Start**** Please HELP!!!!!!!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline alan89

• Just got here
hi i have a golf mk4 1.9 gt tdi 110bhp 1998

ive had a problem with my golf since i have owned basically on starting the car it takes between 5-15 seconds to turn over and when it does it chucks out a load of white/grey smoke from the exhaust.

the thing is once the car is running it runs smoothly without problems its just the getting it started when it has been left for several hours or overnight

i have had the car scanned by vw and a second garage and no faults show up!

ive checked all fuses and had a multi meter on it and nothing is draining the battery so it doesnt seem like an electrical problem.

i think its either burning diesel or air leak but im not sure

can anyone advise on what the problem could be and how it can be fixed

cheers

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
renew the glow plugs 1st
next thing id say is fuel pump timing. even though the car runs it might be a degree out. best thing is get it plugged into a vag com to get the timing cloud checked, id say its going to want adjusting a tad. where u based?
i think i love you.....

Offline alan89

• Just got here
im based near bournemouth but work in southampton

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
thats too far for me lol otherwise idve said ill come check your timing cloud. have a look out on the vag com users list to find someone. ive had this problem myself before and its a pain. problem went away when i renewed the cambelt
i think i love you.....