Author Topic: Oil leak from dipstick guide to dipstick tube joint, breather issue? or?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
Evening all, can anyone help with the following, PD150 (ARL) having issue with oil leak from dipstick where the orange part joins the metal part that comes out of the block (hasn't snapped or visably broken) I'm thinking the o-ring in there needs replacing for starters but considering its a few inches higher than sump why is it leaking from there?

I've had the breather pipe off on the TIP end (couldn't remove it from rocker cover end) but all seemed clear only very light oily coating as to be expected so if breather is clear any ideas on what could push oil up dipstick? which is my guess as to whats happening to cause oil to leak from where it is.

One question though is that all the breather is is one pipe from rocker cover to TIP? no gauze filter or is that integrated into the rocker cover? seemed clear anyway. What else could pressurise crankcase? boost leak?

Any suggestions appreciated, cheers

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Tough one, as you say it is higher than the sump so why would it leak from there. You sure it isn't just some residue? Give it a real good wipe and see if it comes back?  :undecided:

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
Cheers for the reply, I noticed it when I fitted boost pipes and dogbone mount, cleaned it all up but its still leaking as there is fresh oil round it :(

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Cheers for the reply, I noticed it when I fitted boost pipes and dogbone mount, cleaned it all up but its still leaking as there is fresh oil round it :(

Could it be coming from the EGR/EGR delete, leaking and dripping down that way?  :undecided:

Strange as oil wouldn't leak up hill!  :huh:

Offline Luke1981

• I live here
To answer your question about the rocker cover gasket, yes it is integrated in the rocker cover.
You have to buy a new one if its leaking. They cost £100 new I think.
MK IV GT TDI 150 PD / MKII CADDY SDI

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
Could it be coming from the EGR/EGR delete, leaking and dripping down that way?  :undecided:

Strange as oil wouldn't leak up hill!  :huh:

No definately no oil from that area, the only only other leak on engine was from tandem fuel pump. I know all I can think is crankcase pressure forcing some oil up dipstick, how or why I have no idea.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
To answer your question about the rocker cover gasket, yes it is integrated in the rocker cover.
You have to buy a new one if its leaking. They cost £100 new I think.

Ah sorry no I meant about if there was some kind of filter for the crankcase breather pipe integrated into the rocker cover as sometimes there is on cars, maybe the pipe is just connected to TIP without a filter? The gasket for the rocker cover seems ok as no leaks round it.