Author Topic: fault code 00589???  (Read 8693 times)

Offline verrmaja

• Just got here
Re: fault code 00589???
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2017, 18:18 »
After the first airbag reinstall, the code cleared for a few minutes and it came back up.  I checked the code after and it said it was sporadic short to ground.  After checking it again, the code went back to active/static as previously when the code appeared. any thoughts?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2017, 20:18 »
That's pretty much what happened in my case...I went around and checked every connection (including earths) I could find, cleaning and spraying WD40 as I went, but that bloody light kept on bugging me! I have the same model Autel as you and it kept showing the code until something I read, on this forum or where ever...leave the drivers door open, keys in your pocket, disconnect battery, go and have a cuppa for an hour..come back...hook up the battery (must be fully charged)...connect the Autel and turn on the key (don't start yet)...read codes and clear whatever comes up...turn off key and unhook Autel. Wait 5 minutes and start the car. It worked for me and after nearly 8 months, has never happened again.

Not saying that it will work for you, but it's a free try.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline verrmaja

• Just got here
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2017, 20:57 »
Sounds good :)...i'll give it a go!

Offline verrmaja

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 28 February 2017, 23:05 »
So I tried like you asked and no go.  I did some continuity tests from the airbag harness to the airbag module pins.  There are 5 pins that are responsive to the test.  4 of 5 pins are ok, no resistance but 1 pin, it stays at .37kohms if the multimeter is set at 60kohms.  I wonder if I have a short or resistance acting like a short.  Any thoughts?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2017, 13:10 »
Sorry to be long winded with a reply. I'm afraid that I'm easily bamboozled with the electrikery side of these things...I can usually find shorts or bad connections etc, but the nitty gritty of multimeters and readings are beyond me.

There are a couple of real experts on this forum and I'm a bit surprised that they haven't jumped in yet.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.