Author Topic: Vw and audi among the worst for engine failure  (Read 1626 times)

Offline murraymint

• I live here
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
Re: Vw and audi among the worst for engine failure
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2014, 18:11 »
1 in 27 Audi engines fail? Never. They sold 123,622 cars in the UK last year. That is 4,579 cars with engine failure. 12 a day. One every 2 hours.

Possibly 1 in 27 Audi owners make a claim that involves a fault with the engine. Like rough idling or EML on. I think the two are drastically different.

Duncan McClure and Autoexpress should know better. IMO.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2014, 22:21 »
"Warranty cover sales company claims ludicrously high 'engine failure' rate shocker" - the Auto Express headline didn't say.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2014, 17:35 »
French make the best engines!

Thom

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2014, 19:16 »
Utter tosh.

I will allow the actual order of the list. I can believe that a Honda is far less likely to fail than dub, but I refuse to believe that any car has an engine failure rate of 3%, let alone one of the best selling brands on British roads.

Would also like to see how many Toyotas there are with 200k miles on their original engine ;)
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2014, 23:37 »
French make the best engines!

Thom

Not quite sure if serious or not.

The amount of head gasket issues on the 207's perhaps say otherwise.

I'd give the award to Honda, Toyota or Nissan myself.

Always personally would chose Japanese for reliability but think Germany do a good all round car.

I'd imagine the PD 2.0 TDI kicked Audi in the bollocks. They seemed to have used it sooner than VW and they were all fairly naff. Lovely engines to drive, but porous cylinder heads and that ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS oil pump set up wrote a few engines off I'd imagine.

Early oil balancer set up had chain issues, later ones including apparently a 2012 Q7 according to my balance shaft supplier had the hex key issues.

When you rip one out it seems like a fairly well engineered awful idea. The hex keys aren't long enough and a stupid idea all together IMO.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2014, 23:40 by Bellend »

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.