Author Topic: Car seems to be "skipping" under acceleration  (Read 5021 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Car seems to be "skipping" under acceleration
« Reply #30 on: 01 January 2021, 11:21 »
Ahhh ok  :wink:, I was just thinking of why you might get a pause in acceleration, clutch slip could well do it.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 01 January 2021, 11:48 »
Ahhh ok  :wink:, I was just thinking of why you might get a pause in acceleration, clutch slip could well do it.

I just hope it's not clutch because that would be expensive!! I'm not even sure the acceleration does pause that much. It might well still just be the weather and the tyres. I just can't shake the fact that it literally happened the day after the service, and shows the same symptoms with bald tyres or brand new ones (well, 2 or 3 hundred miles on them)

Offline Garhan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 01 January 2021, 13:43 »
Get it plugged into the proper diagnostics as,they can tell now much wear is on the clutch.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 01 January 2021, 19:02 »
Went out today for about half an hour. Most of the skipping seemed to happen between 30-60mph. Did drop off significantly, though not completely, once the oil had warmed up to around 90C.

Checked the tyres once I'd got back (and they'd cooled), and the front left was quite a lot lower than the front right, with the rears also needing some extra pressure. Apparently it's too much to ask for a tyre fitters to ensure they're pumped up properly. Lesson learnt.

I'll try again tomorrow with the tyres now pumped up, and give it another look. Hopefully we can have some dry weather as if it is the wet, recent weather has not been helping matters.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 02 January 2021, 10:54 »
Tried this morning with the tyres at the correct pressure, same results

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2021, 12:22 »
So today it finally happened... Cylinder 1 misfire

Have hardly been using the car due to lockdowns so never got around to taking it to a garage. Today, went for an overtake (not even aggressive, a very slow moving vehicle didn't necessitate that) and the car juddered quite a lot and the EPC light came on. Pulled over and scanned with OBDEleven. Below is the exported log

01 Engine

System description: 2.0l R4 TFSI
    Software number: 5G0906259N
    Software version: 0002
    Hardware number: 06K907425J
    Hardware version: H13
    ODX name: EV_ECM20TFS0205G0906259N
    ODX version: 002003
    Long coding: 092500124464050B2000

Trouble codes:
        P130A00 - Hide cylinder
            static
        P030100 - Cyl.1 Misfire Detected
            static

Before I phone the garage on Monday, has anyone got any quick things I could look at myself, on a driveway, with minimal tools? Things that might have shaken loose etc? Remember, this issue arose originally just after a service, which may just be a coincidence, but I can't shake the feeling that it will be related somehow.

I would like to take my JB4 off (even though it's been in passthrough mode) and test again, but I'm unsure if I really want to drive the car that much. So my next question is: can I do any more harm by driving the car as normal? When I turned the car off and on again, the light was gone, and the car no longer in limp mode. I drove the 1.5 miles home under 2000 rpm, and it seemed ok.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #36 on: 17 April 2021, 16:24 »
The first thing the garage will say is plugs (without even looking at it) and as that's a serviceable part, they'll not cover the cost. After that, I'd hazard a guess at coil pack.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 17 April 2021, 17:03 »
Oh, when I say garage, I mean a local independent, not a dealer. I'm out of warranty anyway

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2021, 22:33 »
Today I went out in my car and checked the live data in OBDEleven. I could see that cylinder 1 was misfiring. I swapped the coil packs 1 and 3 (3 was showing no misfires). Since then, no misfires! That can't have fixed the problem, right? Unless something had become unseated? I need to do more testing.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2021, 23:55 »
Could be something as simple as a bad connection to the coil pack.