Author Topic: Mk7 GTD DPF Removal  (Read 13127 times)

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
Mk7 GTD DPF Removal
« on: 11 August 2016, 08:19 »
Hi.
I'm new here. Looks like a great site and hope to find and share some thoughts and ideas.

I have just purchased a 2013 Mk7 GTD DSG and have a few plans for it.

Has anyone removed the DPF on this model?
I did this to a previous car (and A3) and the performance/MPG figures we very good. The GTD is great but even after a remap the DPF is quite restrictive.

Before anyone starts mentioning the new MOT regs, I know all about these.
Just wondered if anyone has actually done this to the Mk7?

Thanks
Chris

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Mk7 GTD DPF Removal
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2016, 10:37 »
If you know all about the new mot regs then you'll know not to do it to your mk7. The new dpfs are different to the ones on the the older engines and they are also in a different place too. It will fail an mot without the dpf though.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2016, 10:54 »
If you know all about the new mot regs then you'll know not to do it to your mk7. The new dpfs are different to the ones on the the older engines and they are also in a different place too. It will fail an mot without the dpf though.

Ah, from what I have read it is just a visual check so a gutted DPF would be fine.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2016, 16:36 »
I'm sure there was a certain date in 2014 by which you could not remove or gut a DPF and a test would be in place to ensure you couldn't. You might just have missed having to retain your DPF in perfect working order. How much extra are you looking to get out of your GTD? With a DPF in place most tuning optio s are up to 240ps and 500Nm.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2016, 17:52 »
It is still just a visual check. MOT I wouldn't be too concerned about at the moment as most places cut open, gut and re-weld the DPF so it for all intents and purposes it's still present. This is likely to change though - and you can tell from an emissions test if a car is running a DPF as they put out numbers little higher than zero.

I'd be more concerned about the possibility of a road side check by VOSA and the potential fines....having said that they were quite shouty about these but I think I've only ever seen one. Ever.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2016, 22:19 »
Would a roadside check even have the time to check the dpf. It's right up near the engine so wouldn't they need to take the engine tray off and then get right under the car?

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #6 on: 12 August 2016, 10:12 »
Would a roadside check even have the time to check the dpf. It's right up near the engine so wouldn't they need to take the engine tray off and then get right under the car?

Unless the roadside test is done on emissions?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 12 August 2016, 10:41 »
Having been a diesel driver for a number of years, it's the seemingly impending crackdown on diesel vehicles (and specifically, diesel tuning) that's pushed me back towards petrol!
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline djwoody

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 12 August 2016, 13:08 »
I'm sure there was a certain date in 2014 by which you could not remove or gut a DPF and a test would be in place to ensure you couldn't. You might just have missed having to retain your DPF in perfect working order. How much extra are you looking to get out of your GTD? With a DPF in place most tuning optio s are up to 240ps and 500Nm.

I think without a DPF you'd be able to push out a few more horses/torque. The MPG benefits are very good also. Car seems to run more freely.

With VOSA/MOT rules possibly changing, it may be not worth taking the DPF from the Mk7.
Plus its nice not to have a ploom of smoke when you slam your right foot down.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 12 August 2016, 17:57 »
You're already on the limits if not already over with 240ps and 500nm in the gtd.