Author Topic: New GTD - more power - better fuel economy ?  (Read 10148 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
New GTD - more power - better fuel economy ?
« on: 08 June 2016, 11:05 »
Hi guys, as you may know, I've had my new GTD for only 3 weeks now and due to being abroad on business, up to last weekend, it only had 180 miles on it.

Well I went with the other half on a long weekend to see our best friends in South wales (a round trip of 400 miles). I went down the A483 from Cheshire to South wales (rather than use the motorway), and it gave me a good length of time to get an impression of the new car.

Firstly, and this may be in my head, but the car just feels a lot faster than my older car, it accelerates really hard straight from the off and although I was keeping the revs below 3,5k, really seemed to have some poke for a brand new engine. I take it the removal of the rear silencer on the Sport and Sound pack adds nothing (that's noticeable anyway) to the power of the car ?

I've also noticed that Eco mode is much more usable. Before the power would seem really strangled and horrible, but now in new Eco mode, it feels quite similar in power to Normal mode, but gives the additional benefit of the coasting mode on a trailing throttle, which really adds to the economy. I can only assume VW have modified the map on this mode ? Think I'll be using this mode much more than I did in the White GTD.

Second, fuel economy. In the white GTD, it took around 5-6k miles before it started to loosen up and I started to see over 50mpg average, with a best ever in 25,000 miles (over a long journey of 420 miles) of a genuine (calculated) 56.7mpg (mine was and still is a DSG by the way). In the new GTD with only a couple of hundred miles on it, for the 400 mile round trip, I average a genuine 58.9mpg (computer showed 59.7). Quite astounded with that for such a new car, and if it continues to improve as the miles pile on, a genuine 60+ mpg seems attainable.

All in all, loving the new car even more (if that's possible) that the older white one  :laugh:
« Last Edit: 08 June 2016, 11:08 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: New GTD - more power - better fuel economy ?
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2016, 16:51 »
As much as I like my Tiguan I want to be back in a gtd asap.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline chrismc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2016, 18:48 »
I'm pleased to read the MPG will improve!

My DTUK'd car has averaged 460-490 miles on a full tank. Brimming it each time has taken ~45litres so I calculate that to be mid-high 40's mpg.

Not bad given the engine only has 2.5k on it.

Be nice to have it top 50mpg given the Mrs predominantly drives it & it gets a fairly easy time when she's driving....

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2016, 19:23 »
Quick question - does your new car have sport and sound and the old one not?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2016, 20:43 »
Yes new one has Sport and Sound package old one didn't.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2016, 21:36 »
Interesting you've noticed this as I did way back when.

We test drove a non sport and sound car before ordering our GTD. It drove very nicely yada yada but when ours turned up it felt so much quicker and urgent than the test mule.

I can only put it down to the (almost) straight through exhaust and the lack of back box. The centre silencer is slightly longer but then that's it, a straight run to the back of the car with the noise maker feeding in on a Y piece.

The only other explanation is that the map is different on S&S equipped cars but this we'll never know whilst VW can't describe what you get properly  :grin:

I did mention it on the S&S thread I think when I posted pics and video but didn't make much of it as I wasn't sure originally if I'd imagined it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2016, 19:13 »
The 150ps lump seems to have improved over early MK7 standard 2.0TDIs, very eager in 2nd/3rd, still flat in 5th/6th though. I'm in a courtesy car right now (Limestone Grey R line TDI) as the R has gone in for a few small warranty issues that I got the garage to look at while the car was getting its first service. It has the novelty spec add-ons including the autopark, but the system has abandoned 2 of 3 attempted autoparks - maybe I drive to close to the scanned car that I park behind?

The R-line managed an impressive 57mpg on my 20 mile commute even though I caned it at every opportunity, (usually get 32-34 in the R).

Missing the R's immediate response though, I think i'd be wanting at least 240ps to go back to a TDI in future for the primary car.

Best I saw in my manual GTD was a 200 mile round trip to Leeds from Newcastle - almost 59mpg doing 80mph on the motorway with the aircon on in the height of Summer.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2016, 19:16 »

Don't fancy the new Tiguan Chris? - looks very good as SUVs go, like a miniature BMW X5 everywhere but the front end. Not sure whether I want to tie all that money up on my next car - if there's a decent lease deal on the next one i'll be all over it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2016, 22:05 »
Sootchucker... it's all down to the colour... CSG > White   :laugh: :evil:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2016, 22:57 »

Don't fancy the new Tiguan Chris? - looks very good as SUVs go, like a miniature BMW X5 everywhere but the front end. Not sure whether I want to tie all that money up on my next car - if there's a decent lease deal on the next one i'll be all over it.
New Tiguan is just way too expensive Matt and that's before the 190 and 240 have even been released yet. Even with big discounts it's still very expensive.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.