Author Topic: GTD - One month review  (Read 5566 times)

Offline msond

• Not said much yet
GTD - One month review
« on: 17 April 2016, 21:58 »
Hello,

Traded my Mk 6 GT for a 63plate GTD just over a month ago.

It is Tornado red with 19" Santiago's, winter pack, keyless and Discover Pro.

Really happy with the car. Biggest difference is the power delivery and how well for a diesel, the engine revs. Have enjoyed some good A and B road drives.

The radar cruise is really handy for motorway driving once I trusted the car to brake when approaching slower traffic.

The fit and finish seem on par with my Mk6, but there are a few rattles and groans (sometimes).  The standard stereo does not seem to have the same punch as the Mk6 though.

Sat nav is better now it is set to detailed instructions instead of brief. The sat nav has frozen on me twice during two journeys. Switching the sat nav on and off whilst driving did not reset it. Only reset after the car had been parked up for a few hours. The maps are upto date now after downloading via the VW website.

The reading light in the driver's sun visor comes on all the time (even when the cover on the mirror is closed) when I use it. Is this right? The passenger side light only comes on if the cover on the mirror is open.

Should there be ambient lighting in the passenger footwell like the driver's side?

I tend to switch hill hold off when doing a lot of stop start driving. I have come home and the brakes smell like I have been really using them hard and not cooled them down afterwards. Seems to work on the front brakes. 

I have really enjoyed the car so far.

Thanks
Current - Mk 7.5 GTD with sunroof, keyless, Dynaudio, Pronav, , reverse camera, Art Velours trim and self park.
Previous -
Mk 7 GTD. Tornado red with Santiago wheels, Pro sat nav, keyless and winter pack.
Mk 6 Golf GT. Reflex silver, heated black leather, 18" Vancouver wheels, climate control, RCD 510 with DAB, Bluetooth, parking sensors, luxury & storage packs.
Mk 3 Golf GTi 8v Anniversary
Mk 2 16V

Offline GTD1414

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD - One month review
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2016, 08:41 »
When the sat nav freezes, try holding down the power button for 10-15seconds, this works for me whilst driving too.

There should be footwell lighting on both sides.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2016, 16:16 »
Try holding power+menu too, that'll do a hard reset of the unit and should bring it back to life. Although I've only ever had to do this twice, if you're getting freezing often then it might be a faulty unit.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2016, 16:25 »
Check the software version on the navpro... a lot of the early problems were fixed with a later update. You can do it yourself...

Never had a problem with auto-hold. Works like a charm every time, almost seamless.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2016, 20:09 »
I agree that the GTD is a fantastic car and the ACC is really good once you get used to it. I find it really useful when on roads with average speed cameras. However was driving son in laws X6, cruise control on and nearly ran into the back of another car I caught up with. You can get too used to these little gizmos.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2016, 21:25 »
I made the same step up last year from a Mk6 2.0 TDI 140 to Mk7 GTD. Definitely a nice upgrade! I love ACC for my commute, only slight annoyance is the smaller fuel tank
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline msond

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2016, 21:50 »
Hello,

Had a major service and had some of the issues sorted by the dealer under warranty.

They updated the sat nav software which looks to have sorted the freezing issue and fixed the vanity light.

They also said that the early Mk 7 did not have ambient lighting in the passenger footwell. I find this strange. 

They gave me a Up as a courtesy car. Not had a car with push out windows since my 205 1.9 GTi.
Current - Mk 7.5 GTD with sunroof, keyless, Dynaudio, Pronav, , reverse camera, Art Velours trim and self park.
Previous -
Mk 7 GTD. Tornado red with Santiago wheels, Pro sat nav, keyless and winter pack.
Mk 6 Golf GT. Reflex silver, heated black leather, 18" Vancouver wheels, climate control, RCD 510 with DAB, Bluetooth, parking sensors, luxury & storage packs.
Mk 3 Golf GTi 8v Anniversary
Mk 2 16V

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2016, 07:29 »
Your dealer is talking complete rubbish about the footwell lighting. I had a September 13 gtd and it had lighting in both footwells. Take it back and tell them to sort.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2016, 14:31 »
The sun visor is also faulty.

Ive had both mine replaced as light also staying on like yours.

Definately ambient footwell lighting. Mine was built August 2013.. Dealer is wrong on this.
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2016, 09:42 »
Make sure that the ambient lighting is turned up... its in a menu... it could be set to off...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC