Author Topic: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour  (Read 10296 times)

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour
« on: 31 August 2015, 21:34 »
I topped the oil up today for the first time and saw that the oil was a bit yellow, but only around the oil filler cap, not the dip stick.  The car is going fine.  I guess this is just condensation? 

Has anyone else seen this effect?

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
Re: Oil Filler Cap Oil Colour
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2015, 15:24 »
Anyone please!  Anyone seeing anything different from the normal colour of oil?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2015, 08:13 »
I've never even needed to remove the oil cap in two years of ownership. Car hasn't needed oil but I looked last night and I don't have any yellow deposits. I was under the impression that yellow gunk in the oil cap was a sign of cylinder head failure on old cars. What's your driving style eg miles a day etc
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2015, 17:47 »
Yes, yellow "mayo" around the cap can indicate head gasket failure, however, you also get small amounts when doing short journeys where the car doesn't get up to temp or really warm. It's just condensation mixing with oil vapour and nothing to worry about - though the short journeys with cold engine long term are not great.

OP: You do know that oil is a golden yellow colour before it's put into the engine don't you?  :whistle: Doesn't stay that colour long in a diesel though....

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2015, 19:24 »
I've taken a pic, but can't seem to upload it.  The bright yellow coloured oil is only on the oil filler cap.  The car has been mine for about a month now and serviced by VW before l took ownership.

The colour of the oil on the dipstick is as expected.

I have done some local drives and long motorway drives in this time engine oil temp and water temp have been fine, nothing unordinary.  I have given the car a few squirts but again nothing prolonged or what l would call hammering and certainly nothing that would lead to a failure.

I have a longer drive this weekend, hence checking the oil level, which indicated it needed a slight top up.

If any of you don't mind, if you could PM your email address l'll send the photo over for your opinion.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 08 September 2015, 07:33 by ChrisGTD »

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2015, 22:09 »
I've taken a pic, but can't seem to upload it.  The bright yellow coloured oil is only on the oil filler cap.  The car has been mine for about a month now and serviced by VW before l took ownership.

The colour of the oil on the dipstick is as expected.

I have done some local drives and long motorway drives in this time engine oil temp and water temp have been fine, nothing unordinary.  I have given the car a few squirts but again nothing prolonged or what l would car hammering and certainly nothing that would lead to a failure.

I have a longer drive this weekend, hence checking the oil level, which indicated it needed a slight top up.

If any of you don't mind, if you could PM your email address l'll send the photo over for your opinion.

Thanks

Just upload to photo bucket them post the img link, I see from your other post that your already running a dtuk box?
« Last Edit: 07 September 2015, 22:11 by Optimus prime »

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2015, 08:26 »
This is what it looks like, l have also emailed the dealer.

I am running the DTUK box, although my driving has been sensible since fitting it, l do not put it down to be anything connected to the box or my driving.

I'll be interested to hear your responses - l think  :undecided:

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2015, 08:33 »
This is what it looks like, l have also emailed the dealer.

I am running the DTUK box, although my driving has been sensible since fitting it, l do not put it down to be anything connected to the box or my driving.

I'll be interested to hear your responses - l think  :undecided:

What does the liquid feel or smell like?  Is it oily or sticky?  Does it look like melted cheese?
« Last Edit: 08 September 2015, 08:35 by Optimus prime »

Offline ChrisGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2015, 08:57 »
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Feels like oil, l didn't try smelling it, but l can't remember it smelling either.

It doesn't look like melted cheese, it looks more like an oil which has some neon yellow colouring in it..

Offline Optimus prime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2015, 09:48 »
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Feels like oil, l didn't try smelling it, but l can't remember it smelling either.

It doesn't look like melted cheese, it looks more like an oil which has some neon yellow colouring in it..

If wiped away does it return & if so how quick?