Author Topic: VW Golf GTD - Carbon Grey - 18" or 19" Alloys?  (Read 16280 times)

Offline PhillS

• Just got here
VW Golf GTD - Carbon Grey - 18" or 19" Alloys?
« on: 28 July 2015, 14:06 »
Hi all, I am in the process of ordering a GTD for my new company car. Test drove a GTD last night and loved it, so mind made up.
I fancy the Carbon Grey colour (like black as well but had a black GTi 5 years ago so fancy a change).
Whilst I like the 18" standard Nogaro Alloys, I am seriously considering upgrading to the 19" Santiago Alloys.
Unfortunately the dealer didn't have any GTD's in stock with the 19" Santiago's and its impossible to imagine what they would look like in real life.
Would anyone have any photos of a Carbon Grey GTD with the 19" Santiago Alloys?
Does the 19" alloys affect the ride and mpg? Travelling 50 miles in total from home to work each day.
Many thanks

Offline KyleB

• I live here
Re: VW Golf GTD - Carbon Grey - 18" or 19" Alloys?
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2015, 14:38 »
I do a slightly shorter commute than you (40miles each way) and never feel uncomfortable. One thing that is worth noting is the cost of the 19" tyres is a lot more than the 18". I got 14k out of the standard pirellis and 17k out of some Dunlops.

Mines diamond black pearl so can't help you with a picture, but they do look good.

Offline Websta24

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2015, 15:58 »
Dont want to teach you to suck eggs mate, but you can go on the used VW search...or type into google images

Carbon Grey golf gtd 19" Santiago's

Boom.....

Offline PhillS

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2015, 22:37 »
Thanks all, good to hear the ride isn't too stiff with 19"
Carbon grey it is then.
Upgrading alloys is only extra I'm going for as its a company car, unless there is something else worth considering.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2015, 12:50 »
Upgrading alloys is only extra I'm going for as its a company car, unless there is something else worth considering.
That's dangerous talk in these parts... Tick the options... all of them :)

Reversing camera for 150 is a popular one, and keyless is great.

Do you have a limit for what you can add it being company?

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2015, 13:21 »

Agree Rear view camera is good value.

Incidentally Keyless, Winter pack and Discover Nav are all included as standard now on the GTD model.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2015, 13:23 by TwoSheds »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2015, 14:55 »
The 19"'s will be quite poor value on a company lease (unless you arent charged the lease cost out of your pocket!).

With Nav, winter pack and keyless coming standard now the choices of extras are happily limited :)

If you are a regular business driver, I'd spec lane assist (which gives you high beam assist too) - especially if you are having DSG - the thing will practically drive itself which is a godsend for mile munchers.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline PhillS

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2015, 22:52 »

Don't have a limit but the more add ons the higher the p11d value meaning I get taxed more as BIK each month. Have to keep the car for 4 years.
Will go for reversing camera as it will hardly break the bank.
Seriously considering DSG however as I need good mpg for the mileage I do I would have concerns over the mpg v a manual.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2015, 09:08 »
DSG probably equates to a 2 mpg drop, maybe not even that.

If you daily grind involves sitting in city traffic for an hour, I'd get a DSG.... although be careful its an expensive option for P11D'ers like you and I:

cost of the DSG addition on the lease + 3 extra BIK bands (assuming you have to have 5 door like I did)

Crossing that 110g/km CO2 barrier is expensive!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline PhillS

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2015, 16:13 »
DSG probably equates to a 2 mpg drop, maybe not even that.

If you daily grind involves sitting in city traffic for an hour, I'd get a DSG.... although be careful its an expensive option for P11D'ers like you and I:

cost of the DSG addition on the lease + 3 extra BIK bands (assuming you have to have 5 door like I did)

Crossing that 110g/km CO2 barrier is expensive!

Just realised the extra BIK% on a 5 door DSG - makes it a rather expensive company car alright ! That's the DSG option ruled out. Thanks