Author Topic: RyanMac - track day GTI  (Read 14720 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
RyanMac - track day GTI
« on: 25 August 2010, 23:11 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline RyanMac

• Not said much yet
Re: RyanMac - track day GTI
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2010, 16:59 »
right here goes.

I found this car sittin under a tree out the back of my work. I asked about to see who the owner was and asked if he wanted to sell it. He was looking to get rid of it and wanted £500 for it. I had a look over it and wasn't willing to give him the money so left it at that.

2days later he came upto me and said i could have it for the princely sum of free!!! So I towed it away as quick as possible and properlly looked over it.

It was all stickered up with the name "keith smith" on the side and AWTracksport stickers so delving a bit further I found inside a full welded in roll cage, bucket seat, fire extingusher and internal fuel tank. Outside it is fitted with leda suspension, fully polybushed, uprated anti roll bars and lower and upper strut braces front and rear. Engine wise I am not sure though and will require further investigation but it definately is a bit fruity and not the best at idling.

Back in the day it looked like this

Heres what it looked like when I got it....

My plans with it are to get it looking good by sorting the dents and respraying it then getting it running properly before finally getting it road legal. It is staying stripped out though and will be purely a weekend/ track day car.

I do want to change the engine to a 2l 8v on carbs or throttle bodies with the tdi gearbox, fibreglass wings, bonnets and bootlid then either a carbon fibre or glass fibre roof.

Offline RyanMac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2010, 18:53 »
Just found out it has a ported and polished head along with a kent gs2 cam so hopefully that should make it a bit quicker although it does need the cambelt changed and I am not to sure how to do it now with the differant cam.

Offline RyanMac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2010, 15:29 »
so while I could today I finished smoothing the bootlid and where the fuel filler cap was. I tidied up the inside and started to reposition the fire extingusher to the rear seat area and battery to the passenger seat area.

I have stripped the injection system out ready for the twin carbs and had started tidying up the engine bay but the rain came and that was my fun for this morning.

I think at the moment due to funds(new baby on its way) i'll stick with the current engine with its p&p head and kent cam along with twin carbs and megajolt ignition management. Hopefully i'll get 120-130bhp or so with this setup or thats what Ive been told....on a car that weighs 740kg with say 130bhp that makes 173bhp/ton roughly

In the future (maybe for christmas santa :grin:) it'll be fitted with the 2e bottom end, crossflow head, throttle bodies and megasquirt and in the distant future I will eventually get round to doing something with this eaton charger :laugh: :laugh:

Offline RyanMac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2010, 20:45 »
So having managed to get a "turnkey" 2l 8v gti engine for £30 I have stripped the 1.6 out the golf. The engine is complete along with the front subframe and driveshafts, gearbox, power steering rack and exhaust so I cant really complain although it does require a full strip down and rebuild which I have started.

The 2l is getting the crank knife edged, the flywheel lightened and balanced and the head ported and polished. I am then looking for a g60 camshaft as I am heading down the supercharged route along with a few other parts :grin:

The front wishbones have also been stripped off, seam welded and refitted plus I have just had two lovely solid engine mounts made up for me.

I also received my nice lovely large sheet of polycarbonate for my windows so can start making them up. I also managed to have some extra bars for the roll cage machined for me so they also require welding in along with a custom front upper strut brace.

Since I stripped the engine out I removed the raintray aswell because it was pretty rusted and had rotted through on the drivers side inner wing. It was better out than in plus I needed the access for repairing the inner wing.

Old 1.6 engine out

Inner driver side wing rot

Rain Tray out. Just needs some holes welded the smoothed...

I just need to strip the brake servo, master cylinder and the battery tray then its finishing the welding on the inner wing at the top and the bottom then underseal it and it will be good at the front :smiley:

I found out when jacking the drivers side of the car it also lifted the passenger side as well....

No jack or axle stand required!!!!

So thats about it for now but it should start speeding up a bit now as all the bits are arriving....

Offline RyanMac

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2010, 15:57 »
I am still tackling the welding :cry: as I want to make sure its 100% since I am planning the uprated engine.

So far I have managed to cut away most of the driver side inner wing and started making up the replacement metal bits. This is what I was left with when I had finished cutting out the rot....

Since I have welded up the wishbone and that I have decided since the engine is out I am going to seam weld  the suspension turrets and try to make the car a bit more stiffer. :evil:

For some reason all the welding is required on only once specific area but hopefully it should all be welded for the weekend and then its a case of finishing off smoothing and rubbing down the bodywork.

The bodywork is taking me longer than I thought but it has got to the stage that I have realised its going to be a track car and will get knocked about so why try to make it perfectly straight.... :smiley:

I have acquired a crossflow head for my 2e bottom end so as soon as the bodywork is done I can start tackling the engine.

I really dont think it is ever going to end :cry: :cry: :cry: