Author Topic: 2016 GTI DSG to 2019 GTI PP DSG:  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
2016 GTI DSG to 2019 GTI PP DSG:
« on: 27 March 2019, 12:18 »
Picked up my Pure White GTI Performance DSG last Friday, so I thought I would outline my early feelings about the differences.
Of course, the car is, basically, the same model, so you’d think differences would be small, however the progress over 3 years has, in my experience, been significant.
I love the digital dash. So much information available, surprisingly clearly, and I especially like having the Nav screen there. Yesterday, I had VW nav in the active display and Waze, via CarPlay, on the centre screen. Best of both worlds.
The 7 speed DSG gearbox is a huge improvement, IMO. Very smooth in Drive and the ratios appear very well matched to the engine. Much of the slight clunkiness of the 6 speed ‘box has gone.
The ride, on 19” Brescias, is, I think, a little more harsh (I don’t have DCC), but in a nicely controlled way that I don’t find at all unpleasant. I bought a sports hatch - didn’t expect, or want, a limo ride.
The rear view camera is excellent. Deals with the problem of the “form over function” reversing lights, which I never got round to replacing.
Something I’ve not seen mentioned, but a nice improvement, is the addition of an intermediate hold position on the door restraints. The movement between also seems better controlled to me.
The engine feels really strong, although I’ve still to give it any beans. Very smooth and quiet atm, but this may change as the engine beds in.
The exhaust noise is much more in keeping with the car’s image. It feels like there is some sort of valving in the system, as the car starts quietly, but then takes on a harsher tone when the selector is pulled into Drive. Noisier in a nice way when driving, but, if I’m honest, it can be a little droney while cruising. I think this will mellow as the system beds in.
The exhaust tips stay clean, presumably due to the GPF. Not noticed any other effects of the GPF.
I’ve not put these thoughts in any particular order, and I’ve probably forgotten some things, but, overall, I love my new GTI! I was a little concerned that things like the auto hold might not be as well adjusted as on my old car. Happily, the car pulls away even more smoothly, so no worries there. 😊
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: 2016 GTI DSG to 2019 GTI PP DSG:
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2019, 20:03 »
Great little intro Roger. I’ve long been an advocate of getting a last of the line car as they’ve been fully developed and represent great value for money. The mk8 will have to be a hell of a good car to improve on the superb mk7 in any significant way.
Yours is what I’d call the perfect spec (and colour!) as they’re so loaded with toys now I can’t see what more you’d need.
Unlike the last couple generations these run out GTI’s really do offer a lot of car for the money and significantly different spec in both equipment and hardware to the early mk7 GTI’s.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2019, 04:09 »
Great little intro Roger. I’ve long been an advocate of getting a last of the line car as they’ve been fully developed and represent great value for money. The mk8 will have to be a hell of a good car to improve on the superb mk7 in any significant way.
Yours is what I’d call the perfect spec (and colour!) as they’re so loaded with toys now I can’t see what more you’d need.
Unlike the last couple generations these run out GTI’s really do offer a lot of car for the money and significantly different spec in both equipment and hardware to the early mk7 GTI’s.

Great review and very relevant to me as i collect mine 9th ish of April.

Just one question have you tried to reduce the exhaust noise by selecting the "individual drivers mode" and selecting the noise setting ( I think that's the correct term ) to the eco mode noise level?  Just wondering if what I've read previously works in making the drone less annoying.
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2019, 06:21 »
I have done exactly that Graham- individual mode, everything set same as sport except noise in “ eco”.
 I thought I would like the noise but did found the drone in sport very irritating.It’s absolutely fine since changing to eco.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2019, 06:44 »
@Yusee........that's really good news. Really looking forward to getting mine but was quite concerned to read about the additional exhaust noise, I can sleep better now  :smiley:
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2019, 07:16 »
Couple more things I forgot:

The LED headlights are a big improvement on the old Xenons. Perfectly filled in and a good spread. Not tried them in traffic yet, to see how the high beam assist works etc.
The bigger brakes feel really powerful, but with none of the grab that I’ve experienced with brand new cars before, just nicely progressive.
As mentioned elsewhere, it is now possible to turn off keyless entry. Living in the sticks of North Yorkshire, I’ve never been too bothered about the keyless vulnerability, but it is a comfort to be able to remove it completely.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.