Author Topic: Racechip RS on a 7.5 GTI 230bhp, anyone?  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Racechip RS on a 7.5 GTI 230bhp, anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2019, 10:01 »
My GTI is leased, so a custom remap is not an option. At least with a tuning box or hand held unit you can sell on when the car goes back. Or with the Racechip you can get it reprogrammed to your new car for £109

Decided to go for the Racechip RS for £229. Think 297bhp is enough for me and probably close to the limit that FWD can handle without the performance diff.

Will report back once it arrives and is fitted

If anyone is interested in the GTS box for £349 I can email you the link with discount code

Yeah same here - that's a decent price. How long is the discount code valid?

It's very strange looking at their site as gains are much bigger for the 230 than my 245 P. As in bigger gains and more end power with both the RS and GTS Black unit for the 230 GTI  :shocked:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2019, 11:23 »
Not sure on that one Jim, didn’t look at different engines. Maybe at the time of development the 230bhp engine was more popular so spent more time and money on R&D

I have a funny feeling they will be bringing out a new updated range soon (hence the discount codes to clear old stock). The 245 performance might get the full treatment  :whistle:

Think the codes last until the end of April

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2019, 11:34 »
Not sure, seems odd that the 230 gets bigger gains and higher actual output considering the engine is supposedly different.

245:
GTS Black +49 = 294hp
RS +41 = 286hp

230:
GTS Black +80 = 310hp
RS +67 = 297hp

:undecided:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2019, 12:50 »
My GTI is leased, so a custom remap is not an option. At least with a tuning box or hand held unit you can sell on when the car goes back. Or with the Racechip you can get it reprogrammed to your new car for £109

Decided to go for the Racechip RS for £229. Think 297bhp is enough for me and probably close to the limit that FWD can handle without the performance diff.

If anyone is interested in the GTS box for £349 I can email you the link with discount code

Sounds like a good deal. How much did it put your insurance up?

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2019, 14:50 »
I've been toying with this below from BSR, member WIDE in Sweden has one and reports good things. You get the unit to remap yourself so can return to stock as and when. And its £499 in UK with he PPC unit as I spoke to their UK dealer. Figures are about 300bhp.

https://en.bsr.se/tuning-kits/t/2784/volkswagen-golf-vii-20-gti-230hp-2013-2018-chha-cnha

Why would anyone based in UK look for tuning options in Sweden is beyond me, especially for those prices.

Apart from the big name branches, tuners here are either expensive, not knowledgeable or a combination of both. At best they offer average, off-the-shelf tunes at expensive prices, falsely advertised as "custom" tuning. So many trusted options in the UK if you do some investigation in MK7 tuning forums and groups.

You like you warranty? Get a JB4 that has the best and safest results in tuning boxes.
You want to get every last bit of performance or close? Custom tune it in the UK.

This BSR kit has nothing to offer to you. After the first ECU flash (which is what it does) your warranty is gone anyway should you ever (knock wood) need it. Flashing back to stock in these cars removes the flash traces as much as driving in reverse reduces the car's mileage. If it's simply reverting to stock for selling up most tuners would do this for free I believe.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2019, 15:26 »
Not sure, seems odd that the 230 gets bigger gains and higher actual output considering the engine is supposedly different.

245:
GTS Black +49 = 294hp
RS +41 = 286hp

230:
GTS Black +80 = 310hp
RS +67 = 297hp

I'd guess it's down to the GPF they've put on the 245 engine. the 230 engine would (I'd guess) be the same as the Mk7 PP engine with no GPF.

I'd also guess that's why the non PP versio was dropped - it saved VW getting another engine through the process?
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2019, 19:04 »

Sounds like a good deal. How much did it put your insurance up?

Once I'm happy with the running and performace, I will of course inform my insurence provider. If it's a massive hike, I can always send the box back within 30 day for a full refund

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2019, 19:10 »

245:
GTS Black +49 = 294hp
RS +41 = 286hp

230:
GTS Black +80 = 310hp
RS +67 = 297hp

I'd guess it's down to the GPF they've put on the 245 engine. the 230 engine would (I'd guess) be the same as the Mk7 PP engine with no GPF.

I'd also guess that's why the non PP versio was dropped - it saved VW getting another engine through the process?

The 230 engine has been around since mid 2013, the 245 since mid 2017. Thats a hell of a lot more potential customers so makes sence to put more resources into developing the software. 12 months ago when I was looking into a box for a mk7 GTI PP the gains wheren't as much, maybe they've updated the map for that engine