Author Topic: Is this a GTI or not?  (Read 8414 times)

Offline Gti-Malta

• Just got here
Is this a GTI or not?
« on: 13 April 2015, 11:21 »
Morning all,

Soon to be a noobie owner  :cool:

Went to see a Golf Mk2 that’s advertised as a GTI 16V but I’m not convinced they’re not just stickers, making it a sheep in wolf’s clothing. It's in need of some TLC which I'm happy to give it, but only if it is what the seller says it is.

How can I confirm from chassis or engine numbers what I’m looking at?

Also the gear throw goes really far forward, is this normal? I had to stretch to get in in 1st & 3rd.

Here's a pic & an album with more (pls ignore the horrible gearknob & pedal trim, they’d be the first to go).

Album: http://tinypic.com/a/3yfpu/3

Engine:

Thanks for any help!
Steve

Offline Waspy

• I live here
Re: Is this a GTI or not?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2015, 11:49 »
That ain't a 16v. Could still be a GTi though (8v)

You can run the plate on HPI (good idea anyway) or even an insurance comparison site and it will tell you what it was originally (or what the log book says, cant remember which)

Neglected mk2s often have ropey gear changes. Nothing difficult to fix. Buy on body work. Rust will kill a mk2 MUCH faster/more expensively than a mechanical fault, trust me...
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2015, 11:50 »
no thats not a 16v... a 16v is supposed to look like this ..

prob an 8v gti

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2015, 14:15 »
As the others have said, it is a 8V. It has multi-point injection which suggests if it is the original engine, that it is a GTI.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2015, 18:09 »
As said defo a 8v, prob 1.8 gti. If your serious about buying, I'd be thinking of doing some serious haggling, looks like its been neglected from all the crap n dust all over engine, and that cable tie holding the front grille on suggests a cowboy has been at it. Out of interest have you heard it running or took it for a test drive???

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2015, 19:59 »
As said, definitely not a 16v

Could be a 16v thats had an engine swap to 8v though!

Check the Log book, and find out for sure what the car actually started out as.

Check engine number with Log book, if it corresponds, this maybe a rare mistake made when the car was first registered... It happens!

There should be a VIN plate riveted to the RH inner wing, near the bonnet hinge, check the VIN number corresponds with the paperwork

The body also has a stamped VIN number, this is located on the scuttle, underneath the flimsy cover that covers the wiper motor assembly, look for a rectangular hole in this cover, and though it, you should see the VIN, again, check the numbers correspond.

In the boot, spare wheel, back panel area, there should be a white paper sticker, again check the VIN.

If all VIN's match, and the Log book says it should be a 16v, then it's a 16v car thats had an 8v conversion sometime in its life

If any of the VIN's don't match the Log book, then its probably a "Ringer" and at this point, I'd walk away from it!

Excessive "Throw" on the gear lever, points to worn out linkages, easy to fix, with a linkage refurb kit

Thom

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2015, 21:17 »
there is also a small plate with"gti" on it riveted on the driver side inner wing. in behind the front of the airbox, near the headlight surround/air duct thingy. which needs to be removed to read the plate properly :rolleyes:

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2015, 08:17 »
As said, definitely not a 16v

Could be a 16v thats had an engine swap to 8v though!

The rev counter also suggests 8V.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SimonG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2015, 08:40 »
It's owned by somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about.  I bought a an 85' GTI that was advertised as a 16V in the UK.  I went there and wasn't under no illusion that it was an 8V GTI.  Still bought it, though, cheap motoring  :laugh:

Looks like a CE1 (87 to 89) vehicle.  I can't help think, what the heck they were doing when they changed those bumpers and didn't try to source the respective headlamp washers for the big bumpers.  That car has the larger screenwash bottle for the headlamp washers.  I bet it's been blocked off downline.

As long as it's not rusty and it sounds alright/drives alright, you have reason to knock them down on price because it's not a 16V.
  Mk3 Anniversary GTI 16V, Mk2 GTI

Offline Sgt_Lemon

• I live here
  • 8v owners club
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2015, 14:41 »
Those clocks are in kPh rather than mph so I would assume they have been changed at some point meaning the mileage is likely wrong. Unless it's tidy as anything bodywork wise and cheap as chips I wouldn't bother with it.