Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529277 times)

Offline Walts

• Not said much yet
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #510 on: 20 April 2016, 22:05 »
Wow Walts, beautiful job, great reflections!

Cheers watts, certainly took some time

Offline Walts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #511 on: 20 April 2016, 22:10 »
Well today I decide to make the most of the sun and give the car a clean it deserves.

I'm a little (Mrs says a lot) OCD with my cars but I do see them as my only real sin, I don't drink or smoke and work tends to get in the way of a lot of other good stuff.

Well today the car had the following.....
Wheels cleaned first with the following process....... snow foamed, rinsed, cleaned with dodo juice born to be mild shampoo and then deep cleaned with billberry via wheel woolies and an alloy wash mitt.
Wheels rinsed again and then the car..........

The full car was snow foamed and whilst that rested i filled up two buckets with some more dodo juice born to mild.
The car was then rinsed and then washed with my new wowo wash mitt (very nice indeed).  As the cars dark I tend to clean the upper all around and then move on to the lower panels working my way round the car evenly.

One cleaned the i then rinsed the car with the power washer to get into all the obvious places, once that's done out comes the raceglaze water filter for the final rinse to prevent water drops drying and me rushing around like a fool.

I know I don't have to dry the car but still feel the need, I use a metro mini to do the alloys and then two drying towels to pat the car down as needed.

Now usually that's the weekly cycle done but today the car needed some tlc.  As I live by the coast it appears the seagulls have taken an opportunity whilst I wasn't about to dance on the bonnet and the roof. 

Outcomes the DA machine at this point, I started with a light pad and some angle glaze cleanser which worked to great effect, once the offeding eye sores were taken care of all the surfaces were then protected with dodo purple haze pro (new product to me but I really liked it).

Finally the glass was gleaned with autoglym glass polish, the tyres dresses with chemicals guys tyres dressing and the alloys themself treated to chemical guys alloy polish.

Overall not a Bad days work and the car that's 2years and 4 months old certainly doesn't look her age.........

Car looks immense!  Superb detailing work.  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Proper compliment coming from the site legend in detailing  :wink:

Just remembered I also sorted the gloss black trim on the doors too, that's stuffs a proper little scratch magnet....

Booth can you recommend something to take out light scratches on the speedo and the black trim panels in the interior? There nothing serious, they could just do with some TLC next

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #512 on: 20 April 2016, 23:11 »
Proper compliment coming from the site legend in detailing  :wink:

Just remembered I also sorted the gloss black trim on the doors too, that's stuffs a proper little scratch magnet....

Booth can you recommend something to take out light scratches on the speedo and the black trim panels in the interior? There nothing serious, they could just do with some TLC next

Some have had success with Meguiars PlastX on instrument dial plastics and plastic trim. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-PlastX-Plastic-Polish-296/dp/B0000AY3SR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461189249&sr=8-3&keywords=meguiar%27s+scratch+x

I've not tried it, but toothpaste is often recommended for tackling scratches to the plastic on instrument clusters - cheap and worth a go?  Also read that Silvo silver polish wadding (in a tin) is good for dial plastics.  So you could try any of those.

To avoid the scratches in the first place, have a can of compressed air to hand for no touch blasting off of dust from dials and crevices.  Works a treat, that and a good anti static interior cleaner helps keep the dust at bay, and reduces the need for rubbing at the trim.

I spotted my first tiny scratch on the piano trim today - centre console cubby lid. Grrr.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #513 on: 21 April 2016, 07:05 »
Walts - stunning job there!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Walts

• Not said much yet
« Reply #514 on: 21 April 2016, 09:17 »

Thanks...... You'll have to take some credit I guess, purchased your Easter kit you had on offer and it's all top notch. 

I think it goes a little above the rest, especially on packaging/presentation, plus it all does what's it's meant to  :smiley:

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #515 on: 21 April 2016, 15:30 »

Thanks...... You'll have to take some credit I guess, purchased your Easter kit you had on offer and it's all top notch. 

I think it goes a little above the rest, especially on packaging/presentation, plus it all does what's it's meant to  :smiley:

Nice one and thanks for the feedback - but they only work if used correctly!  :smiley:

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #516 on: 23 April 2016, 15:27 »
Any idea when your web-site will be back up ?

Need a few bits and could do with a mooch to see what you have.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #517 on: 23 April 2016, 19:39 »
Any idea when your web-site will be back up ?

Need a few bits and could do with a mooch to see what you have.

This week I hope?!?!

If you go on the website holding page and follow the Amazon link it'll take you through to the whole range and then we can do email or phone orders.

Cheers Neil

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #518 on: 23 April 2016, 22:18 »
Had a busy afternoon giving the car some much needed tlc. Took all my detailing gear to my parents and did it there so I'd have someone to look after the wee one.

Pressure washer rinse
Valet Pro advanced neutral snow foam and pressure wash rinse off after 5 mins (during which time I filled my 3 buckets for the wash)
Wash wheels - spray on Valet Pro bilberry wheel cleaner (1:10), leave for 5 mins and then agitate using big wheel woolie/wo-wo wheel mit (with seperate bucket of water for rinsing them) before rinsing off with pressure washer.
2-bucket wash remainder of car with DDJ supernatural and wo-wo lambswool mit before rinsing off in 3 stages (roof, down to crease line, then remainder).
final rinse off with open ended hose.
Dry with DDJ/wo-wo towels
Lunch break :smile:
Dress tyres and exterior black plastic with poorboys natural look.
Exterior glass clean with AG fastglass and wo-wo glass cloth
Next cleaned inside front:
vaccum footwells, mats and seats with handheld dyson
clean dash, centre console and door plastics with poorboys natural look.

some photos...

before:

some slightly sticky sap on the rear

white mark on edge of inside of wheel - thought this might be a scrach/chip but it came off with some gentle persuasion using the smallest wheel woolie

Dirty rear bumper

During:

White marks on alloys gone...

Snow foam action

After:

2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Xrayrapid

• Just got here
« Reply #519 on: 23 April 2016, 22:41 »
Picked my new car up at lunch time (Unwashed and with stickers still attached - the salesman had never had it requested before and was slightly bemused).  My son and I peeled off the easy to remove covers / stickers.  Then I washed / decontaminated it following the excellent guidance on here - many thanks Booth11.  Sorry, no pics yet as (a) I haven't figured out how to (b) I was still going at 8:30 pm and it was a bit dark!
Arrived, washed, decontaminated, sealed ..... Dirty again:
Mk7 GTI non PP, Manual, Pure White, Parking Pack, CarNetApp