Author Topic: B595 XBM - This is your life!  (Read 4575 times)

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
B595 XBM - This is your life!
« on: 16 November 2010, 19:59 »
Hey guys

I started a project thread awhile back over in the dub projects section but thought I would re-do it here as I have all the time in the world (I'm at work) & I like to hear comments/idea/feedback :)

I will try & keep it brief I was bored one day on eBay (very dangerous) completely by fluke picked up my first golf, my first vw even... It was an 8v 1985 gti in black. Ended up paying £535 it had 12m MOT, few months tax & a few miles on it (pretty much the entire journey to the moon actually... 204000)

The day I bought it

Since then it has been lowered on budget coil overs, trying to keep this project cheap, bought some cheap ats cups & refurbed them as best as I could I could have spent weeks on them if I'm honest.

before...

stripped/sanded/polished

I have bought & done a few other little things to it, pressed plates, smoked front indicators, dewipered the rear, removed the arial

This is how it stands now....

The body work is not the best, but I'm slowly but surely getting the look I want :D

Thanks for looking guys

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
Re: B595 XBM - This is your life!
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2010, 20:24 »
Looking awsome mate and for what you paid and the milage it looks like a cracking find mate. Can i just ask how low you have taken it? I have just dropped mine 60mm and have acquired some ats cups that need a good refurb but wanted to see what they would look like on a 60mm drop so you might have done me a favour? Whats the next plans for you????

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2010, 20:47 »
Looking awsome mate and for what you paid and the milage it looks like a cracking find mate. Can i just ask how low you have taken it? I have just dropped mine 60mm and have acquired some ats cups that need a good refurb but wanted to see what they would look like on a 60mm drop so you might have done me a favour? Whats the next plans for you????

In all honesty I'm not sure on the exact height but that is a fair bit lower than 60, They're JOM coilovers & I wound them down a fair bit (took me a few attempts getting it how I wanted it with no rubbing) I havn't tested it yet though because at the moment I have a broken handbrake so havn't been on a decent drive. The profile on the tyres is not as low as it could be & I haven't done any arch modifying.

Future plans....I need to fix a few things,

the speedo doesn't work... should be easy,
the exhaust is not sitting correctly because I think it's off a 16v so I need to bodge it better
it's letting in alot of moisture so I'm guessing it's leaking somewhere
The gear linkage is awful, I have a repair kit but I haven't attempted to fit it yet.
and finally one of the previous 8 owners has sprayed the bonnet VERY poorly as you may be able to tell in the pictures, it needs a respray badly.

I'm mega mega skint so there won't be many big updates for awhile maybe just little bits I can do on the cheap I hope :)

thanks for looking

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2010, 21:00 »
Tell me about it i am a student and having to live off fu** all and i seem to spend all my money on my car, however not t fix but more cant stop modding it  :grin: :grin:
What size are the tyres on your ats's? Are they the 7" wide ones? I was thinking about what tyres to get for mine and i want a bit of stretch on them so was 185/50/15?? maybe even more stretch then that?
Looks like you have a fare bit of work on your hands. See thats the problem when there has been 8 other owners, not all of them will be showing it the tlc you are now. I am sure you will get there in the end.
Bit pissed with mine today, cleaned all the engine bay up today only to find that my thermostat housing has cracked and is leaking water when the engines running so having now to sort that out. :sad:
Are you not tempted to sell the perelli now you have the ats cups?

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2010, 21:43 »
Yeah they are the wider ones that's why I bought them, Yeah the tyres are 195/50/15 but I could put on 195/45/15 if needed or had the spare cash. I don't think ATS cup's are wide enough for stretched tyres imo.

I find it a nightmare getting stuff done due to the lack of garage/money/time but I'm sure I will get there in the end.

I'm not bothered about the engine bay, it is a complete mess but spending money on it would be a bit of a waste as it's got so many miles on it & is only an 8v. I would eventually love to put a vr6 in it or maybe get someone to do it for me lol.

I have two sets of P slots, The set that came with the car were in pretty poor condition, had no centre caps & needed a tyre & I saw a local set for sale for cheap with the centre caps & new tyres so it worked out cheaper to just buy them.

I was going to polish them up to as best of my ability but I got quite far through the first wheel & it's so time consuming I may just spray them. One of the sets will be for sale though yeah

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2010, 07:51 »
Its a nice car that bud. I'm going to say your probally down 90mm on the front. Not sure about back.
Keep up the good work
Cheers liam

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2010, 09:46 »
awwwww, it's nice to see such an early MK2!..... great to see you have a set of one my fave wheels!.... good work so far with it!  :cool:

Offline banterchicken

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2010, 22:45 »
Little query for you lads, you may be able to see in some of the pictures above the sill trim (think that's what it's called) is really faded / messed up.

Now I havn't really checked it out much but I assume it is just a sticky vinyl sticker on the older mk2's down the side like this can anyone clarify? Is this the item in question...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK2-Golf-GTI-Sill-Decal-VW-NEW-Sticker-Trim-/170550190882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b5956322

I have seen some a few items on big boys toys aswel but it's £18 per side & both of mine are foobar'd!

you should be able to see the bit I mean in this picture, just underneath where the door meets the rearend

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2010, 10:52 »
The sill trim is just thick vynl.

Good to see another mk 2 being done on a budget. Looks pretty good to me dude