Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 82797 times)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #180 on: 16 May 2014, 17:57 »
Ha ha, I did think I would give it a go - will see what I can do ;)

Offline phazer

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #181 on: 26 May 2014, 22:04 »
Hi, finally picked the car up on Friday, no pics yet as I've been detailing it and sorting the paint sealant, not quite done yet  :nerd:

Took the opportunity to get some exhaust sound clips.

Normal setting:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/phazer_mig/media/Golf/20140526_172237_zps6e9f3f90.mp4.html
Sport setting:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/phazer_mig/media/Golf/20140526_172305_zpsf0058359.mp4.html

Some pics of the front brakes ('Scuse the rust, was washed and straight inside):

Anyone know if the callipers are different to the normal grey ones? Any bigger? Only reason I ask is the pads have 'L' stamped on them but the regular brakes have 'H', bit weird??

Some better pics of the exhaust pipework

This is the thing that makes the noise, you can see it join into the end of the pipework

Looked up the company name stamped on the noise maker, some info here for those interested
http://www.eberspaecher.com/nc/en/press/press-releases/individual-view/article/sound-or-silence-new-technology-for-silencing-and-sound-design/419.html

Hopefully interesting to someone  :smiley:

Phil

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #182 on: 26 May 2014, 22:41 »
Very informative. Thanks for that phazer.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #183 on: 27 May 2014, 11:13 »
Thanks for this... it sounds great in sport and a better rumble than I expected in normal too but I suspect this is helped by the deletion of the back box!

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #184 on: 27 May 2014, 18:06 »
Nice pics and video phazer, captured the sport rumble nicely! Interesting about the brake pad markings, will be nice when someone gets to do a comparison. Perhaps all European brake pads are the 'L' type', so we are getting these under this initially European package.

I really do like the sound in sport, cruising around 20-40 sounds great, and stonking under acceleration (nearly at the 1000 mile mark so looking forward to that!) I normally turn off sport mode once on the motorway/higher speed cruising, as even though the sound diminishes with speed it can be a tiring rumble on the motorway, so the system works brilliantly in that respect.

Something else I am pleased with - the engine is so hushed at low speeds (I'm really amazed at the level of refinement for a diesel) that it's rare I ever hear any 'diesel-ness' in the engine note.

Offline Nedi75

• Just got here
« Reply #185 on: 10 June 2014, 23:07 »
Hi all, newbie here. I'm about to order a mk7 GTD having run a BMW 130iLE for the last 4 years, a car I loved greatly but must get rid of as we move to a company car scheme. The sites been a great help in guiding me towards my purchase and I'm now just refining options. I'm going for a manual in red with probably nav, dynaudio and possibly the sound actuator option which may make up a little for the loss of straight 6 noise. One question - ffrank said in this thread that its possible to turn the actuator off when you're not in sport mode. I've only driven DSGs to date (none with the sound actuator) and can anyone tell me can you still switch modes / turn it off with a manual?? Cheers!

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #186 on: 10 June 2014, 23:12 »
I got the Sport and Sound pack for mine and didn't really think it would be that great but its amazing. The sound coming off it in Sport mode is fantastic. So much so I've got to switch it to normal mode before I start it up at 7am for fear of annoying the neighbours  :grin: So yes it can be turned off with the press of a button.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #187 on: 10 June 2014, 23:57 »
Agreed! One of my favourite things about the car is the noise the exhaust makes in sport!

Offline Nedi75

• Just got here
« Reply #188 on: 11 June 2014, 06:50 »
I got the Sport and Sound pack for mine and didn't really think it would be that great but its amazing. The sound coming off it in Sport mode is fantastic. So much so I've got to switch it to normal mode before I start it up at 7am for fear of annoying the neighbours  :grin: So yes it can be turned off with the press of a button.

Ah thanks p3asa, that answers that one, good news. Sounds like it's definitely worth a tick!

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #189 on: 11 June 2014, 09:39 »
Ha ha, glad you guys are loving it too and I'm not a weirdo for often sticking it on sport and the stereo off :D

If not already, just wait until you are broken in and rev through the gears to 4500  :whistle: