Author Topic: RNS510 faulty or just a loose wire  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Marvic

• Just got here
RNS510 faulty or just a loose wire
« on: 24 September 2014, 21:58 »
Hi,

I have a problem with my RNS510 head unit. After buying the car from a national used car dealer, I noticed the unit wasnt turning on or off with the ignition and would not respond to the buttons on the steering wheel. Also, as the unit doesnt know the ignition is on, it turns itself off after 30mins.

So we sent it back to the dealer to investigate the problem. After 4 weeks of to'ing and fro'ing we agreed to settle for a discount off the price of the car as they had come up with no solution other than to replace the unit which due to the cost, they were not prepared to do. They told me that Volkswagen had inspected the unit and advised that it should be replaced. Another company, AES retrofit in Bristol also advised that it it faulty, the can-bus to be specific and it should be replaced.

However, after receiving the cheque for the refund and collecting the car. I removed the stereo to obtain the model number etc and ascertain whether there was also a bluetooth module installed. There wasn't unfortunately. After re-installing, it asked me for the code, which I had to call the dealer for... I then decided to copy some music from a SD card to a HDD, as there was alot of music, it took a while. After 30 mins, it turned itself off as usual. When I turned it back on, I noticed the MFD was now displaying the track title, the buttons were working on the steering wheel and I stopped the car, the unit turned off when I took the key out. I checked it a few times and it seemed to be working as it should. When I came back to the car, it was still working untill I drove for about 2 mins. MFD went back to normal, steering wheel buttons stopped etc...

So, my question is, does anyone know of any reason this might be happening? The unit was factory fitted so all the settings should be correct. I wondered if there might just be a loose wire but figured, surely AES or Volkswagen would have tested this rather than just reverting to a new unit for the sake of making a quick buck??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is beginning to drive me mad....

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: RNS510 faulty or just a loose wire
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2014, 20:19 »
Have you tried vcds on it to check for any faults? Also check the can bus as well.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2014, 07:59 »
Could be a faulty wire or a dry solder joint that connects when heated up, i.e. copying files for over 30 minutes.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Itteh

• Here all the time
  • Built Not Bought
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2014, 23:07 »
maybe an update is due and it looks like it was retrofitted to bump up the value of the car.

what car you got? what year?