Author Topic: Mk7.5 tailights on Clubsport  (Read 3833 times)

Offline EINZ CLUBSPORT

• Not said much yet
  • 2016 GTI Clubsport
Mk7.5 tailights on Clubsport
« on: 04 July 2018, 08:30 »
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I could not find the answer using search.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience upgrading their Euro style tail lights to the FL MK7.5 tails on a ED40. Is it direct plug and play ?  Is any coding required to get them to function correctly ?  As far as i am aware, NZ ED40 is same as the UK versions. 

I am looking at OEM versions, perhaps these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK7-MK7-5-style-R-LED-Dynamic-Tail-Lamps-Lights-Tinted-tailights-NEW-/323178630427

Any insight is much appreciated  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 04 July 2018, 08:47 by EINZ CLUBSPORT »

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: Mk7.5 tailights on Clubsport
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 08:48 »
Almost certain they need some sort of coding as I've seen a couple of people in FB groups that installed those (or similar items) asking for help with the coding in order to make them work as they should.

Are those just the head-lights in your link? According to that guy here: https://youtu.be/FEnTD6n79Lg  you also need special harness (sold separately). And in his application there's mention of coding via OBDEleven app (credits).

I'd make sure I either gather as much info as possible or speak with a shop that knows about such stuff.

Offline EINZ CLUBSPORT

• Not said much yet
  • 2016 GTI Clubsport
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2018, 09:02 »
Cheers for that scanesare.

I'm 99% sure coding will be required for the inner tails to work too, but I was hoping since ours has the inner indicator already working on the Euro LED's,  we might not need the harness and the lights might just work with the coding.

There is a fair bit of info on some USA forums (such as the DAP vid) but they are for North American cars specifically which have the base version tails, those I know need both the harness and coding. We're bit limited on the shops who would even know where to start here in NZ, so I'm trying to do some digging to find out before committing to buy the lights.

The link is just an example of the tails I am looking at - I see cars245.com has the OEM RHD FL tails as the inner fog is on the left inner tailight.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2018, 09:13 »
You're right about the US cars. If I can find again that post on FB from the people that did it and asked questions (don't count on it, almost impossible!) , then I'll see which lights they had before. Pretty sure one of them was a Clubsport that did the conversion from stock Euro LED though...

As a side comment, I thought about this briefly a while ago but a) too much money for something I don't ever get to see even when looking at the car from the outside b) think it's going to look a bit weird without the fronts also and c) I get the appeal on standard GTI cars, as there is a 7GTI and a 7.5GTI so you're half upgrading to that, but there's no 7.5Clubsport. Just my personal opinion of-course.

Offline EINZ CLUBSPORT

• Not said much yet
  • 2016 GTI Clubsport
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2018, 09:24 »
I get what you mean :grin:

I think the lights might just add something extra to the already awesome rear end.

This vid makes me think the lights look right at home on the CS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-e9iQ3MafI

I had the option to buy a FL 2018 GTI which has the tail lights and for about the same price too as the ED40 but since there are only 40 in NZ, I couldn't resist not buying the ED40. Not having the tail lights isn't end of the world, maybe I should be looking at a stage 1 tune instead...    :laugh:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2018, 10:13 »
I get what you mean :grin:

I think the lights might just add something extra to the already awesome rear end.

This vid makes me think the lights look right at home on the CS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-e9iQ3MafI

I had the option to buy a FL 2018 GTI which has the tail lights and for about the same price too as the ED40 but since there are only 40 in NZ, I couldn't resist not buying the ED40. Not having the tail lights isn't end of the world, maybe I should be looking at a stage 1 tune instead...    :laugh:

To me at least, it's exactly because the CS is a rare special edition car with unique styling and (thankfully) no different FL versions of it that I don't feel upgrading such stuff is needed. There's only one CS version (an Mk1 CS if you like  :grin:) and that's it. People into them know how they should look and what equipment they should have which is why I said it might even look weird to the eyes of VW/GTI fans (i know it does to me). Also special edition cars tend to keep a better value the closer to OEM they are (the reason I spent almost a year sourcing a set of Pretorias to replace my Belvederes, instead of buying a good aftermarket set).

I think If I had a 7 GTI the temptation to upgrade the tail-lights to the newest model would be strong but not now.

Stage 1 is great but for such mild states of tuning I'd recommend going with a Jb4. Very little performance difference between it and a proper map to sacrifice your warranty over and (again) you are essentially keeping the car stock, remove it and it was never there (as opposed to a flash tune).

Offline EINZ CLUBSPORT

• Not said much yet
  • 2016 GTI Clubsport
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2018, 11:10 »
That's true you make a good point for the GTI purists and retaining value, I am going to look into the JB4 I think. I still have about 12 months factory warranty left but the modification itch needs to be scratched. I've always modded my cars coming from MK5 Pirelli Stage 2+, Mk7 GTI Stage 2, Audi 8V S3 Stage 2 and now the CS. 

I have removed the resonator for a bit more noise, and the over run pops and gurgles is just awesome now.  They were hiding with the stock exhaust. I'm a little bit bit hesitant an ECU tune will somewhat remove the over run sounds hence why I wanted to look at the tail lights firstly.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2018, 14:14 »
Don't think the map would change that but haven't tried it myself either. Doesn't it get annoying on the highway without the mid-resonator?

Speaking of pops, I had noticed when the car was new and even on stock map it was doing them much more often when in Sport mode but they're gone for good since over a year now. There was a theory about sooty exhaust pipes reducing the pops but don't remember much about it, might be a good idea for a new thread  :tongue:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2018, 15:05 »
When these become available http://auto-parts-europe.com/en/vw-golf-vi/11-ledriving-xenarc-vw-golf-vii.html they’ll go well with FL tail lights but I still think a Clubsport should stay pretty standard.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #9 on: 09 July 2018, 09:16 »
When these become available http://auto-parts-europe.com/en/vw-golf-vi/11-ledriving-xenarc-vw-golf-vii.html they’ll go well with FL tail lights but I still think a Clubsport should stay pretty standard.

Ewww, aftermarket lights? please no...