Author Topic: Carnet inform and guide  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
Carnet inform and guide
« on: 22 March 2018, 19:22 »
Is there any other way to have access to this instead of using a mobile hot spot? Can’t seem to find a sim card slot anywhere   :undecided:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Carnet inform and guide
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2018, 22:33 »
Nope you need something else... Either a phone or a mobile hot-spot device. Vw sell a car stick which is that. Previously but not in the UK the navpro had a simm slot.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2018, 05:31 »
re: the car stick, will any Wi-fi dongle with a SIM card do?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2018, 07:42 »
Yeah anything that offers a wifi connection with internet access will do it...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2018, 08:10 »
As Fred said, yes it doesn't have to be the official VW stick, you can use any generic USB WI-FI dongle. I used an EE one for a short while but then when Fred directed me towards the super Macrodroid app for Android, I've totally automated the process of enabling and disabling my Wi-Fi hotspot on my Galaxy S7 (now Galaxy S9)

As soon as my phone connects to my named in-car Bluetooth system, it automatically starts the WI-FI hotspot, and when I turn the car off and my car Bluetooth shuts down, MacroDroid  automatically disables the WI-FI Hotspot.

It works so well, i don't bother with the car stick at all now.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2018, 08:42 »
Thanks for the replies
Is there anything available for IOS? I need to get something else because it won’t automatically connect to my hotspot when I next get in th car . If anyone can direct be to a suitable dongle PAYG or contract I’d be grateful

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2018, 08:55 »
Loads of different ones out there, your requirements are pretty basic but I'd just make sure it was powered from USB and not one that needs charging itself.

Why can't you use your phone? Do you mean that you have to remember to turn the hotspot on each time?

The Macro Droid solution was good for that on Android, but no idea about Apple... never had one.

Offline Wrex22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2018, 17:34 »
I Leave the hotspot on but when I next get in the car it says that there’s no WLAN connection on the info screen

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2018, 10:23 »
Maybe your phone automatically disables it after a while?

Certainly you can't have wifi on and hotspot at the same time - the phone is either a user of someone else's wifi network or providing its own.

If you've turned wifi on to use it, that's why its switched off...