Author Topic: voice control  (Read 2344 times)

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
voice control
« on: 21 March 2018, 13:04 »
I didn't know voice control was available until I browsed the Media instruction book. When I press the voice button on the steering wheel a message popped up telling me that voice control could be activated by getting a key from my dealer.

Do you have to pay for this? Does it work well?

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: voice control
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2018, 13:06 »
I didn't know voice control was available until I browsed the Media instruction book. When I press the voice button on the steering wheel a message popped up telling me that voice control could be activated by getting a key from my dealer.

Do you have to pay for this? Does it work well?

Yes and no.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 13:07 »
Unfortunately yes you do have to pay for it. It's a £200 option from the factory. Don't know if it's any good as I didn't bother with it.
7.5 GTD

Offline vw spur

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2018, 14:02 »
Voice control is useless, i gave up using it less than a week after buying the car, I think it came with the Tech Pack, I certainly wouldn’t spec it on its own or pay extra for it.
Collected 09/04/16 : Golf GTD Carbon Grey Sport & Sound Pack DSG Pro Nav Dynaudio Rear Camera High Beam Assist 90% Tints

Still pining for:2009 BMW 330i M Sport Convertible

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2018, 14:58 »
I'm surprised manufacturers even bother with their own dedicated voice control these days let alone charge for them.  The one in my Beemer is shocking.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Mustabuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2018, 15:34 »
When I picked up my car, the dealer mentioned that it was an option but didn't try to sell it to me. In fact he said wasn't very good and not to bother with it.
Jan '17: Golf mk7 GTI PP
5 dr, DSG, Carbon Grey, 19" Santiago wheels.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2018, 18:14 »
Dunno if it works without normal voice control but if you have CarPlay and plug your phone in then hold the voice button for a couple of seconds you get Siri and not vw voice

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2018, 19:04 »
Dunno if it works without normal voice control but if you have CarPlay and plug your phone in then hold the voice button for a couple of seconds you get Siri and not vw voice

Yeah I was going to ask that question.  Can anyone confirm if that button activates Siri if you don’t have the voice control option?  In fact do you even get the button?  Might be handy as I find ‘hey Siri’ pretty hit and miss
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2018, 19:28 »
You get the button as the OP said, but when you press it you get a message saying go to a vw dealer to activate it

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2018, 19:34 »
No idea if apple car play works like that but Android auto does... Long press activates it.

Vw voice control is quite useful for me, comes with navpro. Both Google and Vw voice control sometimes can be hit or miss though, it's the nature of the beast.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC