Author Topic: Notification of low battery- key fob  (Read 6996 times)

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
Notification of low battery- key fob
« on: 20 March 2018, 17:46 »
Second time battery on key fob has given up the ghost with no notification on dashboard. VW garage are not convinced I should get a warning, ‘can’t confirm it’s an option on your car’ - Mk7 gti pp. 2016.
Please can someone confirm they have had notification so I can prove to JCT 600!!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Notification of low battery- key fob
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2018, 19:48 »
What exactly is the problem? Car won't open or won't lock?

If it's a flat battery you should definitely get a warning on the dash. This is fairly standard for cars with some form of keyless entry or keyless ignition as the batteries tend to drain far quicker than a conventional key fob. My Focus had it 7 years ago, so don't accept any dealer baloney about a warning being an option. If you use the search function on here you'll see others have had warnings when the battery is getting low, the batteries tend to last about 12 to 18 months if you have keyless.

In my experience these systems can be temperamental, the central locking on my Focus would occasionally freeze and refuse to unlock. Changing the battery in the fob made no difference whatsoever. Eventually resorted to opening the car using the key blade. Locked it again then came back to the car a couple of hours later and all was well again. Either just a glitch or opening the car manually has done some kind of reset  :undecided:

Have you tried both fobs?
7.5 GTD

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2018, 21:22 »
What exactly is the problem? Car won't open or won't lock?

If it's a flat battery you should definitely get a warning on the dash. This is fairly standard for cars with some form of keyless entry or keyless ignition as the batteries tend to drain far quicker than a conventional key fob. My Focus had it 7 years ago, so don't accept any dealer baloney about a warning being an option. If you use the search function on here you'll see others have had warnings when the battery is getting low, the batteries tend to last about 12 to 18 months if you have keyless.

In my experience these systems can be temperamental, the central locking on my Focus would occasionally freeze and refuse to unlock. Changing the battery in the fob made no difference whatsoever. Eventually resorted to opening the car using the key blade. Locked it again then came back to the car a couple of hours later and all was well again. Either just a glitch or opening the car manually has done some kind of reset  :undecided:

Have you tried both fobs?
Thanks for the response Guzzle.
On the first occasion I couldn't unlock the car, second occasion I couldn't lock it and dashboard said 'key not detected'. Both times a new battery immediately resolved the issue. VW diagnostic both times have indicated the battery was low and despite me quoting from this forum where others have mentioned the 'warning notification' the garage is saying there is nothing in the spec or in their knowledge  to indicate that displaying a notification is an option.
When I picked it up tonight they suggested it was a rubbish battery causing it to stop working. I don't have a problem with the battery not lasting, I'll get spares, but I would quite like to be warned of the fact.
Apparently they are now going to ring the factory with my chassis number to check whether a notification option should appear.....so after 2 trips hopefully they will accept there is a problem and start thinking how it can be fixed!
Least they didn't wash it :smiley:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2018, 21:32 »
On the two occasions my (keyless) key fob battery has been low and needed changing, which is pretty much bang on at every birthday of the car, I get the warning up on the dash.  Mines a MY2016 R. They should all have the low battery warning function.  Dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2018, 21:47 »
They thought they were so fantastic when I picked it up -  'as a courtesy we have replaced the battery for you'..... we don't believe what you are saying but here's a £1.50 battery for your trouble of bringing the car in 2 times and being made to feel like an idiot..

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2018, 23:03 »
 :smiley:...  I'll be sending the link through first thing tomorrow!

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2018, 08:56 »
On the two occasions my (keyless) key fob battery has been low and needed changing, which is pretty much bang on at every birthday of the car, I get the warning up on the dash.  Mines a MY2016 R. They should all have the low battery warning function.  Dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Just like booth I’ve had the warning twice on my dash & replaced the fob battery  - mines a 2014 model

Offline bushido

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2018, 15:47 »
I find my car goes through key fob batteries very quickly, albeit I always get the key fob battery low message in plenty of time.

Stu

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2018, 17:33 »
Update - after supposedly contacting Germany for clarification the dealer have rung to say they still can't confirm whether my particular car should display a notification but they are going to take it in for 2 days, run the battery down and see if the warning comes on.....trouble is I can only imagine them then saying...'well we've proved it doesn't come on,  obviously therefore not an option, bye bye'.